2. grocery store trips

"Eggs, vegetable oil, flour, and milk." I read off the grocery list to Riley as we walked into the store.

"Go ahead and add sugar to that, too." Riley grabbed a cart and caught up to me.

"Why are we even making a cake? You're making this a bigger deal than it is, Riley." I felt my eyes start to roll but quickly corrected them before he seen my annoyance.

"Liv," He stopped mid aisle and turned towards me. "Your album comes out in less than 7 hours, stop acting so humble." He started to move the cart again.

I sighed and followed him down the aisle. In a way, Riley was right. I didn't schedule any interviews for the release, not even one with the local radio station. I was being a little humble but I didn't want to oversell the album I wrote about well, my ex.

"That's all on my list," Riley smiled at me as we got in line for checkout. "Are you sure you don't want to have a party or something, Liv?" He hesitated to ask.

"Absolutely not," I argued back with him quickly. "It's just an album."

"Album?" A familiar voice caused me to jump. I looked up from our place in line to see the burning red hair I once despised. I quickly recalled the moment Natalie and I had the night before and how I had her sweatshirt sitting on my desk now.

"Olivia here is releasing her album tonight," Riley smiled as he pushed our items towards her. "And she doesn't want to celebrate."

I shot him a look before turning back towards the register where Natalie stood, scanning our items. I was taken aback to see her actually working. "It's not that big of a deal, really." I smiled lightly at her.

"I'll be there." She smiled back before bagging up the eggs.

"Be where?" I nervously laughed. I watched her hands as she carefully typed in the numbers of a faulty barcode.

"Your party," She looked back at me matter-o-factly. "We're obviously having one for you, right Riley?"

"No way," I obliged. "I don't want to make this a big deal." I turned to Riley desperately but I could see in his eyes that his mind was already made up.

"7pm, your place?" Riley grabbed the bags before turning around and waiting for an answer from Natalie.

"Deal. See you there, Rodrigo." She smirked at me. Not in the snarky way either, it was more of a "I'm happy to do this for you." smirk. I smiled and rolled my eyes while walking out.

"You're an asshole, Riley," I grabbed a bag and put it in the trunk before getting in the passenger seat. "Since when did you start to become friends with Natalie Halter?" I gauged him before asking the question.

"Since we bonded at camp, Liv," Riley turned on his car and pulled out of the Albertsons parking lot. "She isn't that bad, y'know."

"Bonded at camp?" I asked again with a confused tone. Riley was the most extroverted person I knew but him bonding with Natalie was even out of the box for him.

"Yeah," he shook his head before making a left to turn onto my road. "After all that stuff with Marisa and Ella went down she came and talked to me about you."

My eyes widened. "What about me?," A grin crept across his face as the words poured from my mouth. "Riley come on!" I pushed at him before getting out of the car, assuming he'd follow.

"I'll pick you up at 7." He smiled and waved through the window before pulling out. I scoffed at him before throwing my hands into the air watching his car drive down the rode. I knew he had that same smug look on his face that he always wore when he knew he had defeated me.