SEVEN

Scanning the dark surroundings, I can feel a movement in the corner. I slowly take each step.

In the corner, I flash my light and curl up and hide its face. I lean closer. A little girl reveals to me. She has dirt all over herself that I can't tell. The only thing I could tell was her eyes. They flash rich hazel color. She huddles herself, scared.

I lower my gun and put it back in its holster, "Hey," I say quietly, not to scare her off. "I'm not here to hurt you."

"W-who...who are you?" She asks, with a stutter. She's terrified.

"I'm someone who will get you out of here." I reach for her, but she pulls herself back.

"No!" She whispers, screaming. "If Mama Eva knows I'm gone, she will hurt me. She will hurt the others."

She's talking about the other children that were brought here. Luckily, I'm not worried since Ghost is doing his job on the other end.

I pull up a small smile. "Don't worry, a friend of mine will save them."

"But...but..." she looks away and hugs her legs tight. "Mama Eva will not be happy about me leaving."

Looking at her more accurately, she's so skinny. I can see the bone through her skin.

My jaws tense, and my hands turn into a fist. Not wanting to scare the child. I hide away the anger. "May I ask your name, sweetheart?"

"Persephone."

"What a beautiful name, Persephone," I smile. "My name is Terry."

There was something about her that made me want to protect her. I've seen hundreds of kids when I'm on a rescue mission. Each one was scared, frightened, and tortured, living with monsters. And I had vowed to save all of them. But with Persephone, she's different. Looking at her state, I want to hold and shield her from the dangers that may harm her.

What makes her so different?

"Persephone, come take my hand, sweetie," I say sweetly to her. It would help if you weren't scared of me. I want her to trust me. When she moved closer to the corner, my heart hurt. "Look, I know you are scared of Mama Eva when she finds out. But do you want to be here? In this place?"

I move my eyes with the light in sync with me. This place has no windows, it's too cold, the floors are damp, and she has only a dirty twin mattress with no pillow or at least a blanket and a bucket. Just looking at this place, she is treated as nothing.

When I look back at Persephone, I contain my anger, and my rage just died. If they treat her more special than the other children, why make her live like this?

"Persephone, I heard you tried to escape. I know you want out. Can you tell me why?"

She relaxes her shoulders and turns her eyes on me. I want to pull her in my arms and tell her everything will be okay. But right now, I need her to trust that I'm not the bad guy.

"I...I want to see my mom," tears ran down her dirty face. She wipes it away with her hand.

"Your mom?"

She nods, another sniffle from her sobs. "I-I heard from s-some of Mama Eva's men t-that the reason why they k-kept me instead...instead o-of selling me is b-because my m-mom will l-look for me."

Now I can see why Persephone is unique to the other children sold.

"So, you tried to run away to search for your mom?" Persephone nods. "Do you have any clue where your mom might be?" The child shakes her head and tucks it between her knees.