FORTY-EIGHT

It's a race against time, and I feel my body fighting against the virus. I checked my watch as many times as I could, just watching the numbers on the seconds go down in a flash.

The whole purpose of this virus is to give Eva the advantage of being a savior once she reveals having the cure. But also to prove that she is someone. Being rejected and unloved by the man whom she never considered a father had made her the person she is today.

I exited the freeway and entered the streets of L.A. I put my bike to a halt, letting the engine run. I open the shield of my helmet and glance down at my watch to see the tracker on Pete. He and Eva are still moving, and I'm just about a bit away from them. I shut the shield and drove in that direction. My earpiece beep as I tap the answer button on my bike.

"Ken, I'm close to Pete," I tell her.

"Cap, you are never going to believe this."

I noticed the concern in her tone. "What?"

"I've searched the locations of the gas bombs in each of the cities you mentioned. Guess where they are?"

I increase the speed of my bike in the empty streets of L.A., wondering why there are fewer cars than the usual amount after midnight. And there are no people walking heading to a bar or club.

I will figure out what is going on and continue the topic with Kendall. "Let me guess, knowing Eva, she had those bombs planted somewhere secretive and unable to be seen."

"Also with a lot of people," Kendall adds. "But you know Odin's new resort, King Trident Resort?"

"Yeah, he had the grand opening pushed back because electrical maintenance needed to be checked with the air conditioner..." then I paused and remembered going back to the resort in Malibu. The resort has been the talk of the town because of its successful business. Odin decided to have constructed the resort in other cities in Los Angeles; Beverly Hills, of course, Malibu, Paramount. He chose to have one built-in Long Beach because it's convenient for his grandkids and great-grandkids to enjoy a vacation closer to home. "Shit! Are you serious?!"

"Cap, Eva had the bombs planted in the basement of each Trident resort, and she will have it set off at the same time. She will be at the resort on Beverly Hills."

"Fuck!" I growl and twist my wrist on the handle. "That resort is almost close to finishing, but there are still people staying there, and I understand the one in Long Beach hasn't started its construction."

"Yeah, but that one is next to the Long Beach Pike. A lot of people are there. The gas can spread the whole area."

"I'm close to where she and Pete are." I made a hard turn that had almost close to falling off my bike.

"Do you think Pete can stall her before she can detonate the bombs?"

"Hope so, Ken. I hope he's alright."

"After he was taken away, I had lost contact with him."

"He's staying quiet because he's around Eva. Pete has to keep his mouth low to a minimum so she wouldn't figure out he's not the real Poppy." I scan the streets, and no one is around. "Hey Ken, can you tell me why the streets are empty."

"Give me a second to check the street cams and tonight's events," she stays quiet while I stop my bike again. Stayed in the middle of the empty street. "Fuck!"

"What? Kendall? What's going on?"

"Eva already had people believing. There's going to be a terrorist attack."