NINE

I stand in front of Persephone's room, wondering how she is doing. After Seth left to grab food, I decided to check on her.

With my nose close to the dark oak door, I raise my hand and knock on the door. Once I hear her voice, I open, take a peek inside, and find her sitting on the bed with her back against the headboard and her knee up under her chin. The worried look in her eyes makes me want to hold her until there is no crest on her forehead.

I never had this feeling before, not with all the kids I have rescued. Whenever I see Persephone, I want to keep her hidden from the world that would harm her. It's like some instinct. She and I just met, and suddenly, I want to protect her. The first time I see her in a critical state, although she is properly pampered, a special childlike Persephone is nothing but treated as an object. Eva will keep her until she is in good use. Just like me.

I remembered the day I was adopted, and I felt special. It was my big day, and although I had to leave Effie then, meeting my new family felt like my birthday and Christmas wish had come true. When I met my new parents, Harvey and Patty, they seemed like a lovely couple. Instead of going to my new home with my new family where I could live a normal childhood, the couple took me to an abandoned factory, and already there was a woman in a red trench coat.

My supposed adoptive parents told me that the woman in red was my new mother. Confused and scared that I will be in the hands of another. Harvey and Patty pretended to be friendly people and manipulated my happiness of finally having a family.

During that time, I started to distrust adults. They sometimes give you hope but, in turn, will make you believe that everything they do is right and follow in their way.

Living with Eva was the worst thing that happened to me. I lived in a nightmare where girls are valuable and boys are less important when selling or having babies. Girls at thirteen are considered to find a potential donor from the men in the Order and give birth to babies. Eva planned to grow a kingdom where she would show everyone who put her down and rule the world.

Although I was special to Eva, and at thirteen, I had already experienced physical pain between my legs. That night, Eva told Hugo it was time to make me into a woman as I lay on my mattress with one pillow with no pillowcase and a thin blanket that wasn't warm enough even during the cold winter nights. I remembered a dark, colossal silhouette figure hovering over me. I could feel his hands touching my skin. It makes my body shiver and uncomfortable. The way he kisses my face, I cringe tightly. His harsh voice still lingers in my ear, telling me he will be gentle and it will be the night I will never forget.

I could never forget it.

I vaguely remember every detail of everything Hugo has done to me and how Eva watched as her lap dog took my virginity.

I close my eyes shut and exhale, removing those nightmares. I opened my eyes and realized that I was in the present. Everything that has happened is all in the past, but the grudge remains. I will never forget that woman for ruining not only my life but for thousands of children, including Persephone.

I approach her with ease as she slowly lifts her head. I smiled at her and sat on the edge. I extended my arm, but only to stop, not noticing what I was about to do.

"How are you feeling today?" I ask her.

"I'm okay," she says quietly, looking away.

"Did Seth take your order?"

She nods and pulls her legs closer to her chest.

"Did he scare you?" Wondering her nervousness around a stranger like Seth would cause discomfort.