FORTY

I speed down the freeway, heading to Long Beach. I slurve and pass a few cars around after midnight at full speed.

Looking at the rearview mirror, I noticed a black car following me behind. It has been tailing me ever since I merged into the freeway. I was being paranoid at first, thinking the car was going in a fast lane, but it's been following me.

I can't have it follow me home.

I twist my wrist, increasing the speed of my bike. I turn my head and see the black car closing in on me.

"Shit," I grit my teeth. "Damn Order."

I knew they would be following me. The signal from the island had triggered a security system to their base.

I increased the speed of my bike just a bit so I could continue the road on the freeway. Minutes later, the car sped up and was on my right. I look, and the window on the passenger seat opens as an Order member in a mask to hide their identity pulls himself out with a gun.

With one hand, I grab his wrist, trying to point it away as I struggle to stabilize my bike while fighting it off. Fighting while driving is risky, but I've done this many times. It's nothing new to me. The car driver rear-ended my bike to make things quick, almost knocking me off.

"Shit," I curse under my breath, knowing they will kick me off my bike if I get rear-ended again. I pulled the Order's wrist, twisted it as he dropped his gun, and then did three hard punches to his face as he fell unconscious.

I pull him out of the window, making him roll down the road. As I moved up to the driver's side, I pulled my pistol and aimed right at his head. The car scarves on the road and hits the wall.

I turn my bike around, scratching the road. I stop and open the shield of my helmet. My heart is hyperventilating, and before I can calm down from almost close to dying. Two more black cars appear on the freeway.

"Fuck!" I closed the shield, roared my bike's engine, and skidded back on the road.

Two of the Order's cars reach my sides. I look to the left and my right. They planned a backup; having me taken down was their number one goal. Men on each side stick themselves out of the car in one Order and now hold electrical batons. I reached for my own from the side of my bike and started blocking their hits as they attacked.

I hear a ring calling through my helmet.

"Cap!"

"Ken, kind of busy here." I pant harshly once one swings at me, but I duck, and I turn to my side with an upcoming car in front of me to avoid getting hit.

"What's going on?" She asks in a frantic tone.

"Got two bogies in cars on my ass right now."

"Well, I will make this quick," she inhaled and released. "Dr. Swanson is dead."

"What?!" I yelled as I swung at one member, having him knocked out. I move my bike and pull him out of the car. "What do you mean dead?"

"His son came to visit him today with his son, Felix, and found his dad died in his office with a flask in his hand."

I grunted, grabbed the Ordermen's hand, and kicked him. "He was poisoned!"

"It appears his computer memory hard drive was also wiped clean. I can't recover anything, not even an email. I have a high IQ and can't even recover emails!" Her voice was high-pitched through my ear.

"Shit. Did you find anything else?"

"Oh! The Doc left a suicide letter that the police found inside a book was left on his desk. It's about how much he regretted what he did and blamed himself for making his sister the way she was. Then he mentioned you."