FORTY-FOUR

I re-watched the freeway security cameras Kendall had sent me. That night, I fought with the Order and Hugo; their bodies should've been desegregated, but I spot Hugo crawling for his life after the explosion as the footage was altered.

That fucker is still alive.

Also, Eva had spread her handmade virus on an island coast of Myanmar. She had poisoned their water stream with her virus, and now everyone is sick and turning against one another. Watching the footage from the drone makes me sick to my stomach. She not only tested on a few unknown subjects in her lab but also caused a pandemic of peaceful people who just became her test rats.

I squeeze my phone tight within the grasp of my hand and frustratingly brush my hair back. Two things frustrate me: Hugo is still alive and nowhere to be seen. All hospitals and clinics have no records of his admission. And two, I hear Poppy moving as I look over my shoulder. After an hour of calming and being by her side and a few hours of staying close, she cannot relapse into another nightmare.

After her petrified outburst broke my heart, being gone for a week took a toll on her. Poppy and I have been separated since the day she was born. I understand the fear of being abandoned again can overwhelm a person. I was like, too. When Odin took me in, I didn't want to interact with anyone, but he always pushed himself, trying to open up. He had done things no adult had ever done. He planned activities that involved getting to know each other, and when those therapeutic sessions failed, he tried a different method. Odin never gave up on me. At that time, I grew accustomed to him being around me because it showed that not all adults are evil. Odin never forces me to do things I don't like, and he's willing to wait until I can do things independently. Then, when he left for a business meeting and went for three days, I cried out for him. None of the maids or caretakers can calm me down besides Odin. He was the only one I didn't want to be abandoned—the feeling of protection from a parent I never once had.

Blowing a breath of relief and stress, I plop down on Seth's beanbag and lean back, closing my eyes for a few seconds before opening them. Seth had gone to work and, five minutes ago, had asked about Poppy. I'm glad he had asked. When I replied, he told me that everything would be fine with her and mentioned my week of MIA. He wanted to discuss that, and I had a lot of explaining to do.

I put my phone back into my pocket. I let out another sigh as I looked down at my leg. A while ago, I patched up with a clean gaze wrap, and it will take days for the open wound to heal up before I can find Eva. I had asked Kendall where she could be, but she's like a ghost so far—not on the radar.

Feeling the need to relieve myself, I went to use the bathroom. After I wash my hands, I look in the mirror for a glance. There were a few cuts, but nothing serious during that fight on the freeway.

I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket. I leaned against the sink counter and pulled out my phone. It was an unknown number.

Not hesitating, I slide my finger and pull the phone into my ear.

"You outdid yourself, Mr. Sparrow. I'll give you credit. You killed three of my people, but you injured the fourth. You will never give up unless I'm taken down."

My whole body tense at the sound of her voice. "Eva," I roll her name as if it's venomous to say it. "How did you get this number?"

"You think Odin is the only man to have top-notch geniuses on his side?" she gasps, snickering. "I have my ways."

"What do you want?"

"Persephone." Eva went straight to the point.

I clench my fist. "What's so special about her that you will send your dogs after me? I heard Hugo is still alive and nowhere to be seen. I wonder where your precious toy has gone. You might as well check at the Lost and Found; maybe you can find him there," I taunt her.