FORTY-ONE

The rain started pouring once I reached the house in this cinematic situation. I park my bike in the driveway and dash towards the door with my helmet off. I knocked frantically, and after hitting the palm of my hand, the door flung open.

"Terry? What in God's name-"

I made myself inside, drenched. "Sorry, I forgot...my key."

Lame.

Effie shuts the door and crosses her arms over her chest, pouting. She stares at me with her piercing silver-gray eyes. "Is that all you got to say after MIA for a week?" Oh boy, she's mad. Plus, the hormones increase her disappointment towards me. "Do you know how worried I was? Everyone was? How was Poppy when I was gone? She asked about you every day, wondering when her mother is coming home, and I have to repeat the same answer."

She is furious.

"I'm sorry, there were many things to do at work. I lost track of time and sleep." I brush my hair back. I am still determining when the last time I slept was. I took naps here and there but wasn't in dreamland.

Effie expressed her anger by sighing as her expression lit up a bit. "I know your job can keep you up without sleep, but you can't just ignore us. I know the job you are doing is to protect your daughter. I understand that. But please, don't strain yourself away from us. We are more than just friends; we are family." She proclaims. "Plus, you were adopted by Grandpa as his daughter, so technically, you're my aunt. Which is weird, right?" She giggles a bit.

"It does seem weird since I'm dating your boyfriend's older brother," I add more amusement to this conversation.

"Anyways," her expression changed instantly; she frowned. "It's past midnight, and you were late for the BBQ."

"I had a little accident on the way," I move my body, then hiss at the pain aching on my leg. I reach for my jeans and clench.

"Are you okay?" She gasped, looking down at my ripped jeans as she stopped scolding me. "Oh shit, Terry. That doesn't look good. I'll go get the first aid."

"Yeah, I'm fine," waving her off gently. "I'm going to see Poppy."

I need to see my daughter. After encountering Hugo earlier, I need to have her in my arms and tell her it's over with him. Hugo is gone forever.

"Not in those clothes. She will freak if she sees you like that," she suggests. "I'll get something clean for you to wear and talk about this later."

"Thanks." After half an hour, cleaning myself up and tending to the stab wound in my leg. Effie had given me one of Seth's shirts and boxer shorts. I walk up the steps and head to Zara's room.

I knock lightly to ensure Logan isn't sleeping in the crib again. Zara sleeps soundly when I open it, but I see an empty bed beside her.

My brows furrow.

I would like to know where Poppy has gone. I check all the empty rooms, not bothering the others from their sleep.

"Where could she have gone?" I thought about it, then premonition to believe she had run away. But she wouldn't be upset with me for doing something like that.

The last room I still need to check is Seth's. I approach his door and open it without knocking, and with the light from the hallway shining behind me, my heart relief. Lying in bed is my daughter, sleeping peacefully.

I hear a groan to my right and find Seth slumping on the beanbag in the corner, wearing a shirt and boxer shorts. I look down at my attire and think Effie did this on purpose. I inwardly groan and shake my head. I look back at my sleeping daughter.