THIRTY-FOUR

I drove up to the Reid's house as I shut off my bike's engine. Effie had texted me that they were all back home. It was already past bedtime, and I planned to pick up Poppy and take us home, but it seemed too late. I just had a talk with Odin about the hidden laboratory and concocted Eva's plan for using the drug. Odin had sent out scouts to check out Paradise Island.

Five went in. Zero came out.

We had lost visual and audio contact with the scout team. The last image was a person; Kendall had it closed up, and high-quality footage, as we saw, didn't look human. It had crazy bloody eyes and foam coming out from its mouth, and it attacked one of our team who had the camera. It was the same symptoms as Myles. Before the camera could lose visual, we saw not one but lots of them. It's the reason why the scout team lost their lives. It was a tragic scene to watch. It's like watching a horror film.

A lot has happened within a day, and I want to get home to my daughter and man. I must rest my brain before my team sets out on the island.

With the spare key in my hand, I approached the front door. I feel something behind me. The neighborhood is dark and quiet, so it will make some idiot come and attack me from behind.

Slowly reaching for my handgun underneath my jacket, I can hear the steps of his combat boots approaching as I fumble my fingers on the weapon. As this mysterious person draws near, I pull out my gun and twirl, aiming at Don, standing there with a plastic bag and beef jerky in his mouth, chewing.

"Whoa, easy there," he held his hands up while mumbling. "Didn't mean to scare you."

I exhaled and put the gun away back to its sheath. "Sorry."

"No worries. I get it. I have to be on high alert," he pulled out his keys and opened the door for us to enter.

"What's with the bags?" I ask as he turns on the kitchen lights and places them on the island counter.

"Claire woke up wanting some ice cream, and then Effie woke up craving chocolate-covered strawberries," Don went over to grab the strawberries from the fridge and then grabbed a bow from the cabinets. "I walked to the nearest liquor store to grab chocolate bars and Claire's favorite Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. But I got other things just in case they get hungry."

"I remember my cravings," suddenly the thought of my pregnancy. Once I found out I was pregnant, Eva had my stuff with luxurious meals for my baby.

Three meals a day is what I was served while I was pregnant, unlike my usual meals, which are two per day. While the other children get one, they don't get a plate full of food. Their only food to survive was a loaf of bread and water. If punished, you don't get any food at all. They will let you starve for a whole day.

When I talked back to Eva, she got so mad that I ended up locked and served without food for a day. My stomach was growling, and my throat was dry. I had to swallow my spit and eat whatever crumbs off the ground. It was disgusting and unhealthy, but I needed to survive.

"Terry?"

I blink, having to get away from my memories. I rub my eyes. "Sorry, just tired."

"I can see that." Don was already stirring the chocolate on the stove, and I didn't realize he was making Effie's midnight snacks.

"Shouldn't Logan do that?" I question, smirking as I watch him cook.

"He should, but Zara was crying, and Logan is with her now, making her sleep." He says. "But I don't mind."

I made my lips form an 'O' as I sat on the chair. "You are one good brother," I compliment him as I pull out my iPad and study the files Kendall had sent me to review while I make a plan.