FORTY-SEVEN

Red.

The color is a standard color you see on a traffic light to stop. The color you see on fruit, like apples and cherries. On a vegetable like tomatoes. Valentines can also symbolize romantic love and physical passion that creates our heart races towards a person we love. Red is the color of heightened emotion, strength, and power.

But red can be a negative thing that you see. The color red is not only linked to passion, love, and desire but also power, anger, or rage.

That is what I'm feeling right now. When Eva stepped off the boat, my whole body went on lockdown. My heart is palpitating, and my blood is boiling to the point I'm seeing red.

Seeing her for so many years wearing that damn red outfit, I wanted to hit something. I hated her wearing red. It's okay for other people to have red on them or receive red roses, but red on Eva fits her perfectly as she is the devil herself. Flashy and cunning like one.

My stomach churned. I wanted to throw up, but now it's not the time to be disgusted. I have to focus and not blow off the operation.

Her boots click closer as she stares at me with a grin on her face. "Mr. Sparrow, I presume?"

My teeth grit. "Eva, it's nice to meet you finally."

"Likewise. I heard stories of your accomplishments but never knew how beautiful you are as a man. Have you ever considered being a model? I know someone who can hook you up."

"Modeling isn't my cup of tea. Too much of a hassle of primping up for a photoshoot and walking down the catwalk. I'm not a show-off, unlike someone I know." And that's who you are.

"Someone is antsy to see me. Well, I guess you can do anything with that face." Her tone changed as her eyes showed hostility. "Seeing your face reminds me of someone I hated."

She's talking about her father, her lover, and my biological father. I mean, who else is she referring to.

"I wonder who? Do I like your lover who dumped you on the side of the road because you were just a thing to him?"

That will rile her up.

Her face hardened as I could see how much I poked her about her ex-lover.

"Better turn that frown upside down; you might have wrinkles. Right here," I point to my forehead and chuckle.

She gasps, then snaps her fingers towards one of her bodyguards. One pulls out a pocket mirror and hands it to her. Eva looks at herself to check for wrinkles. "Where is the child?"

"First the serum, then the child," I advert my eyes to the corners where Pete hides behind me, playing his role.

"Of course. Rufus," Eva orders the other bodyguard holding a steel briefcase and gives it to her. She clicks to open it, and in the center is a small vile with some blue liquid substances. "Happy?"

"Persephone," I call out to Pete in a stern tone. "It's time to go back to your mother."

Pete slowly yet cautiously peers himself out, his head lower to avoid eye contact. He's better playing the part of a scared child than I thought. I hope it will fool the cunning Eva.

He tugged on my sleeve and glanced up as we made eye contact. I slightly nod my head to go ahead to Eva. He took small steps toward her, instantly handed me the briefcase, and pulled Pete in her arms.

"Oh, my baby," she says in a soft tone that I had never seen her do before when I was with her. "I'm so glad you are okay. You are not hurt, are you? Look at you, and they didn't feed you well. You are too skinny."