TWENTY-ONE

"Why do you keep staring at me?" Ask Persephone once she takes a bite of her Belgium waffle, chewing like a rabbit.

I giggle, thinking how adorable she looks like a chipmunk.

"You're acting weird."

I wasn't concerned about her calling me weird, but it only made me smile and giggle.

After I learned, my daughter has been with me the whole time. Alive and well, I couldn't help but smile. Last night, I couldn't sleep because of the sudden news Persephone is my daughter. At first, I didn't want to believe it and went out to clear my head until the sun rose. I thought about what Odin had said to me and to give me time to prepare mentally. It is still quite a shock, but she's my daughter. I'm new to parenting and will learn throughout the process, but I can't tell her she's my child. I am still waiting for the right moment. I want to spend time with her and get to know her.

I can not believe meeting my daughter after thirteen years can be overwhelming and nerve-wracking. What can we talk about? I don't even know what to ask. For now, all I can do is shower her with adoration.

Tears were building up in my eyes. I turn my face away to hold it together and not cry in front of Persephone.

I took a deep breath to calm myself and looked back at my daughter, filling her face.

I lift my arm, itching to poke the stuffed cheek.

"You missed out yesterday," I paused and froze my hand from touching the cheek.

"I know," I pull my arm back down on the table. "Ever since you returned, you were overwhelmed and couldn't keep still."

Yesterday was the best time she ever had at her first water park. Persephone was scared. First, Effie and the girls bought Persephone a swimsuit, but because of the scars and fear from the Order, she was too ashamed of her body. It took a while to convince her, and I didn't want her to feel pressured into something she didn't do. But she wanted to try it because she is with people who care about her.

"I couldn't help it," she protested. "It's the first time I've been to a water park and..."

I know how much of her childhood was taken from her. She was sheltered while other kids, normal kids, enjoyed things like going to the water park or spending time with family. Persephone and the other children in the Order never got that experience of being a kid.

I remembered when Odin would take me places to turn my frown upside down. But watching other kids my age at the time with their parents just made it worse for me. My parents didn't want me in the first place. So, why did my mother give birth to me?

Both of my parents are fucked up, and even though I didn't want to know who they were was best for me because I'm not going to let people like that ruin what I have especially giving birth to my daughter.

I spot a speck of brown syrup on the corner of Persephone's lip. I grab a tissue and reach over to wipe the syrup off.

"Eat slowly," I tell her with a chuckle. "Then get ready in an hour."

Today, Effie and her sister planned out activities for a whole day. I saw the list Effie had texted me, and I could not believe the two Reid sisters coordinated each activity. They are well prepared. But it will give me the time to spend with Persephone and get to know her more. I want to know all her likes and dislikes, favorite things, and maybe what she will do once she meets her mom. What would her thoughts be if she knew that I was her mom? Will she be sad? Angry? Disappointed? The worst can come out if she learns the truth from other people. I have to be the first one to tell her.