TWELVE

"Here we are," I say to Persephone as I open the door to the new house.

It's a modern family house, two-story, three bedrooms and two baths. I look to my left to see the entranceway to the kitchen, and to my right is the family room. It's similar to the Reid's house but a smaller version.

I drop the luggage next to the door, allowing Persephone to explore the house. "Your room is upstairs to the left," I told her.

As she went upstairs, I explored the house more. I found another bathroom down the hall next to the kitchen. Walking down the corridor ends with a door leading to the back of the house with an average-sized pool and a large tree. A treehouse sits there and a swing. I approach the swing, and memories of sitting on the swing set just looking at the sun over the tall fence keep me from leaving the place that was supposed to be my home. I pictured my young self sitting in that swing, hoping to jump over the fence if I swung hard enough.

That never happened.

I was scared.

I clench the rope tight and close my eyes. Living with Eva was the worst thing in my life. After picking me up from my fake parents, she had me blindfolded. Once I arrived and the cloth was removed, my eyes were suddenly stung by the sun's brightness. Tall fences surrounded me.

"This is where you will live for three years," Eva said. "Behind those fences is nothing but a forest. If I find you leaving, I will have my dogs on you." She stroked two large black dogs, flashing their teeth at me and growling. "They love hunting small creatures, scarce ones."

I remembered Eva's words that day.

I remember when she had Hugo do things to me every night.

Substances in my throat made me gag when I heard Persephone call me from the house.

"Terry, have you seen my room? It's so...are you okay?" she frowns.

I patted my chest and gave her a small smile. "Yes, I'm fine." I clear my throat. "I'm glad you are settling in."

I look at my watch and ask, "It's almost dinner. Anything you are craving? I can make you something?"

"Anything is fine," she rubs her arm, feeling nervous.

I understand she is still not used to being asked what to eat. When you are an Eden Child or one of the children, you are given what they gave you. Back at Odin's house, Tony, the Chef has a menu he created, and you pick out the food you want. From Medetterian to Greek, Tony can make anything.

Persephone hesitated to pick the food from the menu, so I chose the one I liked. She didn't complain or dislike what I had picked for her, but she needs to know she can choose whatever she wants and not let anyone control her choices.

"How about something simple for dinner?" I ask. I have yet to think of what to cook. I'm no pro cooking like Tony, but living alone allowed me to experiment.

I first cooked during a team mission in Siberia and infiltrated the Order's compound. It was a cold winter night, and we were hungry. I hunted down two rabbits and had them skinned. As I cooked it, I gave Ghost and Gunner food poisoning. The meat of the rabbit wasn't fully cooked. We had to abort the mission and return once those two were well. Then they warned me not to cook for them ever again. Since then, I have taken cooking classes with Tony, learning a few pointers.

"Sure."

"Okay, clean up, and I will cook something for us."

We head back inside the house. Persephone ran upstairs as I entered the kitchen. The first thing I did was look through the fridge. As I opened, my eyes grew wide to see that the refrigerator was filled with food products.