THIRTEEN

I parked the car, turned off the ignition, and dropped my hands on my lap. I looked at the Reid's house and then at Persephone, who seemed troubled.

"What if they don't like me?" she asks quietly.

I can understand where this question is coming from. She is about to meet new people; the only ones she feels close to are Seth and me.

We haven't talked about Seth since that incident at the house. It has been two days with no talk or interaction. At first, I felt relieved, but I realized how much I missed him—missed his jokes and his teasing. I missed his touch and how his fingers made my whole body shiver in a good way. I hated men touching me. It took Odin and the boys a minute in my team to shake hands with me because it would remind me of the past. But with Seth's touch, he's gentle and feels with kindness. His hands feel softer than mine with all the callousness. It would've been better if I wore gloves when he touched my hands again.

I close my eyes and shake my head. There is a better time to think about him. I glance back at Persephone, who has her eyes on the house. I smile.

I reached and tapped on her shoulder, which made her flinch but reminded her it was me. She turns. "Don't worry; they are going to love you."

I know Effie and them will love Persephone. They will welcome her with open arms. Since I got a call from Effie yesterday, she told me they are having a family BBQ and invited me and Persephone. Initially, I was hesitant and told Effie that the child wasn't used to seeing new people, but then I realized I couldn't shelter her forever. I'm to protect her from any of Eva's men lurking around searching for Persephone.

I accepted the invitation.

"Are there other kids like me?" She hugged the brown bear I bought her the other day when we shopped at Walmart. It was hard for her to cope with many people, and I thought it would help with her anxiety, but it worsened it.

"There are other children, but they are younger than you. The closest one to your age is Leo, and he's seven." I explain, keeping her mind calm.

She hugs that bear tight, unsure if she can get through this. Although she is thirteen and girls her age shouldn't bring dolls or bears to another person's house because they claim themselves mature, and that little girl toys are too young for them, I'm not one to judge because Persephone has been through a lot, and she loves that bear. I will let her keep it until she is ready to let go.

One step at a time.

"I promise you, this will not be like last time," I tell her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought you with me."

"It's not your fault," she flashes her smile. But I know behind that smile, she was scared. "I'm still not used to it with many people."

Persephone gave one more look at the house. I watch her shoulders rise and fall, indicating she takes deep breaths.

"You ready?"

She reaches the door handle, clenches it, and looks at me. "I'm ready."

"We can go back, and I can call Effie that you are not ready to meet them," I wanted to be sure she wouldn't have another anxiety attack.

"No, don't," Persephone stopped me before I reached my phone. She inhales and exhales. "If these are Terry's friends, I can trust them."

I was ready to get the paper brown bag in my back pocket, but I was shocked to see her jump out of the car and stand there staring at the house.

Getting out of the car, I ran to her side. She squeezes my hand, then asks, "Are you sure they will like me? What if they-"

"Persephone," I spin her to face me, having her look me right in the eyes. "I promised you I would find your mom, right?" she nods. "Then I promise these people in this house will never harm you. They are not like the people at the Order."