FORTY-NINE

Bullets kept shooting from behind as I stayed hidden and had my head down to avoid getting my headshot.

"Fuck," I growl at the outcome. "This isn't good."

The longer I wait, the more Eva will be suspicious of Pete. I don't think he can act like Poppy. If Eva knew Poppy was a fake, she would have him killed and detonate the bombs early.

But why wait in the morning?

I know it's already passed midnight, and it will take six hours for the sun to rise. Eva already convinced the mayor to lock down the city because of terrorist activities.

She claims to use the smoke bombs fuse with her particular virus to pretend she has the cure.

Unless...terrorist attacks...virus...oh fuck!

That bitch will make me the terrorist, hence accusing me of starting a war. I'll be a public enemy to the country.

I need to stop this disaster before innocent people die.

Bullets kept flying over my head, and I was getting pissed that Eva had this all planned out from the start. Infected with the virus, and once I am uncontrolled will attack anyone near me. Eva needs to be stopped but first, rescue Pete.

I tap my earpiece.

"Gunnar!" I scream.

"Cap? We have raided the main base, taken care of the members, and rescued the prisoners."

"Gunnar! I need air support."

"How many?"

Peeking, I saw about six in total. "Six, but they have machine guns and- UGH! Fuck!" I hug my stomach from the poke that arises inside the active virus kicking.

"Cap? Are you alright?" Heard his worried tone on the other end. "Want me to call Ken-"

"No!" I groaned and took deep breaths as I tried to fight the virus that was about to make its outbreak within my body. "Kendall is a bit busy at the moment. I want your drones out here at my location. Now!"

"Sure, give me a second."

I peeked again to look, and my eyes grew wide as they brought out a heavy machine turret. "Gunnar! Hurry! They brought out a turret that looks like your toy collection."

"A what?"

Suddenly a loud blast surprises me, making me duck my head down. I move away from where the stone has been broken. "Fuck! It's a laser turret."

"Laser turret? Wait...does that turret look like a small robot?"

Looking again, I duck. "Yeah, why?"

"Fucking shit! Those bastards! They stole my blueprint for a laser turret." Gunnar continues to cuss through my earpiece. "How the fuck? Wait...that bitch Myles was seeing. She was with us when I showed Myles my laser turret plan to have our agency have more security, and it would be cool to have lasers. That bitch fucking stole it!"

"Okay, Gunnar, I know you're upset, but she's in the dungeon. Don't worry about her. So, focus, have you called your drones."

I know how upset he is right now. No one can ever touch the blueprints of his crazy ideas except for him. There was one time Kendall accidentally spilled coffee on one, and he flipped. He and Kendall went into an argument, giving each other the cold shoulder. Gunnar treasures them very much. I'm the end, and he finally realizes how much he hurt his wife and apologizes. So, no one except him and Kendall can touch his blueprints.

"Oh, I'm not sending the drones anymore."

"What?" I scream in the mic for his ears to bleed. "What do you mean?"