26

FLASHBACK 2

Daniel's P.O.V

Why is Father calling Grace... Should I intervene...? I might get seen peeking like this... I'd better say something.

"Father, I've been- huh.. Grace? What is going on? I was told that Allencourt has ran away with this girl! But she's right here!"

"My Son, there has been a misunderstanding! According to what Savoy told me, she was lost looking for her maid in the castle."

Lost looking for the maid? That's new... Intelligent, Grace!

"Guards! Bring her maid!" Father shouts in anger.

A while later a soldier walks Grace's maid to the courtroom.

"Your Majesty, You summoned me...?"

"How dare you spread a fake news in my Kingdom! Your misinformation might have costed me my Commander General!" His Highness roars.

The maid looks perplexed. And the moment her eyes fall on Grace, she gasps in disbelief.

"Grace...? You're here? But.. but I saw you running away with a man early this moon!"

"What? What are saying?! I've been looking for you to exchange this thin quilt for a thicker one!"

Grace is amazing! I wonder how she managed to get a quilt!

"Oh, I think the maid might have mistook the quilt for a person." I add.

"No Your Highness! I'm pretty sure I saw her with a manly figure!"

Father seemed to be in a deep thought...

"And she was missing for a quite long while! I dare not lie to you!"

"I think that Grace is not lying either, Your Highness. She might have been wandering in the darker areas of the palace. For if she was trying to escape, she would have to pass through many entrances and wouldn't have gone unnoticed since our guards are highly vigilant in those places." Phew, I'm trying to cover Grace!

"You have a point, my Son!
WHAT PUNISHMENT WOULD YOU LIKE FOR MISGUIDING THE SOLDIERS!"

"Your Majesty! I request you not to punish Maisie. Her eyes were deceived! It's not her fault..." Grace is trying to save her maid.

"I agree Father, let's forgive the maid for the moment being."

PRESENT SITUATION

Daniel's P.O.V

It seems like some guards are heading this way..

I watch as Allencourt enters the courtroom followed by a group of soldiers who still have the same respect towards their commander. I suppose he's handled the matter.

"Allencourt! Where have you been? Your absence has created such mayhem!"

"Your Majesty, my fellow loyal spy had provided me with some information about a probable threat to our Kingdom. Which is why, I was doing a thorough inspection of Grimwood to look for any suspicious activities."

"Ohhh, Forget about it, let bygones be bygones. But I have a strong suspicion on this maiden!"

What!

"What makes you say so Your Majesty...?" I ask Him.

"A letter. An anonymous letter."

Letter?

"Here it is Son! Read it, and you tell me! Should I have faith in this girl or not!"

"Warm greetings to the Ruler of Grimwood. I hope you're faring well, Your Majesty. I'm writing You this letter to inform You about a piece of delicate information that has flowed to my ears.

I have come to know, by some secret sources, that Prince Daniel Maguire's would be mistress is concocting plans of escapism in which she's most probably receiving help from a traitor in your Kingdom, and therefore I deemed it as my duty to apprise you.

If you wish to save your reputation, You would better sort this out sooner than possible. Would I have been in your place, I would have already executed the darer. However, this is simply my personal opinion. You shall take any action you consider appropriate in such situation.

Your Well-Wisher."

Coming up:

Who would write His Highness such a letter!?

"I may trust Allencourt for once! But never a prisoner who is from a family of traitors!" His Majesty roars.

"Enough! I've made up my mind! I ORDER THIS GIRL TO BE EXECUTED! I will not tolerate any insult to my esteem!"