54 | Character Development?

"Uh- are you okay, Midoriya?" I asked, stopping in my tracks as I jumped down several poles to reach the fallen teen. Midoriya laid there, body planked unto the floor as I poked his shoulder.

"I'm f-fine, L/N-san, why did you stop? The race is still going," Midoriya asked, sitting up from his position. I smiled at him and offered a hand.

"Can't I be worried for my friends?" I spoke whilst he accepted my help. I pulled him from the ground and made him stand up. He didn't seem hurt, so we decided to just go to the finish line even though we knew we were going to be placed last.

I was surprised at first. I didn't think Midoriya would have drastically improved all of a sudden just after the internships. Was the hero he interned with that good or maybe he just had these tricks under his sleeve.

This boy kept surprising me every day, the fact that he was able to keep up with me was enough proof that he's getting good.

We regrouped with our classmates and most of them went up to compliment Midoriya despite his slip up. I stood idly, waiting for the next instructions.

"Tch, stupid L/N. You should've just left him to rot, baka," a certain hot-headed hedgehog grumbled just behind me, I was able to hear what he was said; I turned to him. "That wouldn't make us heroes now, will it?" I said boldly.

The blonde male glared at me with his chin up. His eyebrows so furrowed you'd think he would get wrinkles on his forehead. I smirked at him teasingly, knowing very well that he was getting irritated. His reactions were always so priceless.

Later on, our adviser called for all of us to gather around him. We quickly complied and got near his vicinity so that we could hear what he was about to say.

"This competition was held to see how well you've all improved after the internships and surprisingly, a lot of you did. Take the internship as the entrance to this long staircase. The final terms are coming soon and so will summer. A quirk training camp will be held this upcoming summer," he announced. At the mention of a training camp, everyone began to hype up and excitedly talk about how fun it could be.

"However... I must warn you. Those of you who'll fail the final terms..." Aizawa gripped his scarf whilst his hair hid his face. He looked scary; he looked like Sadako. My classmates and I sweatdropped at the sudden expression change.

"Won't be able to attend the training camp," he finished, making most of us scream. Four particular students screamed the loudest.

"AIZAWA-SENSEI, HAVE MERCY!"

"I DON'T WANNA GO DOWN! NOT LIKE THIS!"

"I'm so dead."

"No shit, sherlock."

"Silence. The finals will consist of multiple written exams and a single physical exam. You all must pass these trials to join the training camp," Aizawa finished, putting his hands back inside his pockets.

So not only do we need to at least get a passing grade on our written exams. We also have to pass this physical exam which could be something we won't be able to prepare for because we have to study for the written test and we don't know what the physical exam could be.

Nothing even started yet and I already wanted to lay down on my bed and do absolutely nothing.

"Bakugou! Can you tutor me?" Kirishima ran to his hedgehog friend. Bakugo roared in anger.

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Bakugo yelled in reply, swatting the red-headed male away like he was a fly.

"Yaoyorozu-san! Please tutor me!"

"Me too!"

"Same here!"

A crowd surrounded Yaoyorozu. The female instantly shied away and tried to suppress her classmates. They kept pestering and persisting her to help them though.

I could already feel solid glares behind my back. Whilst I'm good at combat, I also do extremely well in my academic department. I knew people would ask for my help.

But I didn't want any more socialising, so I made up a plan.

"L/N-"

I jumped off the platform we were currently standing on, which was probably a hundred feet from the ground.

"L/N-SAN, WHAT THE FUCK???"

"Sorry, self-isolation is my inspiration."

-~-~-

"Are you going to tutor someone?" I asked Tokoyami. It was after school and he was walking me home. I told him that he didn't need to walk me home, but he still wanted to.

I didn't complain. I liked his presence.

"I wouldn't call it tutoring, but Shouji and I are going to study together at his place," he replied, walking alongside me whilst he carried both of our bags. I honestly didn't expect he'd study with anyone, but at least he's trying to interact with others more.

However, I noticed something recently. When we got back here from the internships, instead of him going home as soon as possible, he hung out at my place for a whilst. I was happy I got to be with him longer, but won't his parents worry? The second thing I noticed...

"How come you're not hanging out at your place?" I asked and immediately after the mention of his abode, he looked away. "I'd prefer that no one would lurk into my room," he reasoned, all the whilst looking completely away from me.

The second thing I noticed was that he didn't like people visiting him. Despite being childhood friends, I never actually got to see what his house looked like. He'd walk with me until I'd get back to my own home but it was never the other way around. Maybe he was hiding something or maybe he genuinely didn't want anyone snooping around his house.

Finally, the third thing I've noticed was related to the first thing I've been thinking about. I haven't met his parents. I've never even heard stories of them from Tokoyami himself. He doesn't mention them.

I was worried. What if he had this family problem and he didn't want anyone to know it? He could be hurting and everyone would be oblivious around him because of how hard his demeanour is to read. Maybe he truly was hiding something.

Or perhaps he just genuinely doesn't like visitors.

I don't like them too. Home is my personal escape bubble. Why would I want to invite anyone in to socialise with me?

Still, it worried me that he could be carrying all this weight behind his back. He's been good at hiding it for the past years, but now that I've grown and learned a lot more, I could see something out of place.

"Y/N, we're here," Tokoyami spoke, snapping me out of my daze as we walk to the front door of my house. I shook my head and mentally fixed myself.

He handed me my bag and placed his now free hand on top of my head, to which I heat up.

Is this really Tokoyami now? He's becoming so friendly and caring. I'm not used to it, but then again I'm not complaining. Despite his cool nature, you could already see that he started to show how much he wanted to be there. As his childhood friend a̶n̶d̶ s̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶ a̶d̶m̶i̶r̶e̶r̶, I feel happy with his character development.

But I still need to find out the truth about him. Maybe he'll open up one day.

"Thanks for walking me home."

"It was my pleasure."