I Hate Myself

Today started weird. I didn't think it would end the way it did.

After homeroom, I went straight for my first period. I stopped by my locker to get my textbook, my notebook, as well as the pencils that I needed for the class. On the way, students were behaving weirdly around me. Weirder than usual, actually.

They all seemed to be avoiding me, moving out of the way whenever I walked their way. Some would go as far as hiding in their lockers. One kid got really scared when I turned his way. He immediately dropped to his knees, begging that I shouldn't do anything to him. He kept pleading till it became extremely awkward. Everyone stood staring at me, wondering what I was going to do.

I turned away from the kid without a thought on what to do. I didn't want to waste any time, so I just walked away. I'm not going to lie, that experience was mortifying. Sadly, it wasn't over.

"You should apologize."

I stopped in my tracks, startled at the statement made earlier. It was the new girl from a few days before.

"Rumi," She said. "That's my name if you didn't catch it earlier."

"I have class right now, so-"

"I'll walk with you," She said. "We have the same class."

I sighed. I decided to just let her. It was silent until a few seconds after.

"So Lloyd, right?" She asked. "Is that your name?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"You're the first person who's talked to me since I came here. Most of the girls in this school are sort of weird."

"I'm guessing you haven't heard about me then."

Those words came out of nowhere. I couldn't believe I just told her that. I decided to change the subject.

"Do you hear that?" She asked.

I sighed in my head, relieved that she changed the subject herself.

"Hear what?"

We kept quiet for a moment, but I still couldn't hear anything.

"I could have sworn I heard something."

Suddenly, I heard a huge bang coming from another hallway.

"You heard that, right?

I nodded.

"Do you want to check it out?" She asked. "Someone could need some help."

I shook my head. "I'm not exactly good at helping people. Plus, we could end up late for class."

"Come on. Don't be like that" She pulled me by my arm and lead me down a hallway in the opposite direction from class.

Who was this girl? I thought to myself. Looking at her pulling my arm, I felt weird. Uncomfortable, sort of. I didn't want to push her arm off since it would be rude. Also, if someone needed help, I wouldn't want it on my conscience. I decided to go along with it until we got to the source of the noise. I hoped it would help distract my mind from all the strange things that had happened earlier.

Good news and bad news. The good news is it did distract my mind. The bad news is that what I planned on distracting my mind from got bigger.

Rumi and I found our way to the source of the noise. We stopped at the sound of some voices gathered by the lockers. I peered from behind a wall where we stood.

"Chen."

"Who?" Rumi asked, whispering.

"Why that good-for-nothing piece of-"