II.XI

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═CITLALMINA CHAPTER ELEVEN•SHWARMA•≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═
CITLALMINA
CHAPTER ELEVEN
•SHWARMA•
≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

CHIHUAHUA DESERT, COAHUILA, MEXICO
1946

For the past week Elenara had been walking aimlessly. The goddess had dragged her feet across the deserts with a sad look on her face, her eyes empty and full of grief.

Her SSR jacket and skirt was layered with a coat of sand as the desert winds blew the specks on her. The suns rays met her, softly caressing her tan skin. Elenara grumbled,

"They could've at least dropped me off at a town."

She was put in a car and they had left her in the middle of the desert and vanished.

How nice of them.

She felt the agents glare the entire ride, no doubt they were all angry to be bested by her. They wanted to get payback by leaving her in the middle of nowhere.

The serpent that was comfortably lying on the top of her head and used his tail to tap her forehead.

"What is it, Xiuh?" A small hiss left the animal and she turned to where he pointed.

"Let's ask them where we are." She removed her heels and ran to a group of men that were mounted on horses.

"Hola! Me pueden ayudar?"
"Hi! Can you help me?"

Beneath their black hats they shared a look that was hidden from her. They ushered their horses forward. A man — presumed to be the leader of the group— got off his horse and walked to her.

"Que quieres, niña?"
"What do you want, girl?" His voice was deep and scratchy as he spoke. She eyed the gun handles that were peeking out from their jeans.

They were bandits.

"Saben en dónde estoy?"
"Do you know where I am?"  Xiuh slithered down her arm, going down in swirls as his head neared her wrist, ready to transform in needed.

"Coahuila." He curtly responded.

"De donde vienes?"
"Where did you come from?" One asked from their horse, gazing at her bare legs with his light brown eyes.

"Nueva York."
"New York." She answered, taking a step back. Once they heard the name of the city they smiled greedily.

A girl from the north was worth a lot in Mexico.

But a girl from the south was worth nothing in America.

"Ah, una norteña. Ellos nos pagarían mucho por ella, no?"
"Ah, a northern girl. They'd pay us a lot for her, no?" One of his henchman asked as they began to circle her on their horses.