I.III

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═CITLALMINACHAPTER THREE// DEATH OMEN"EL BARRIO", NEW YORK≫──────≪•◦  ☼  ◦•≫──────≪

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═
CITLALMINA
CHAPTER THREE// DEATH OMEN
"EL BARRIO", NEW YORK
≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

A sigh left her plump red lips as she walked down the concrete sidewalk. The heels of her feet were beginning to ache, with each step becoming heavier and heavier. A silent curse escaped her lips as her crimson dress kept rising up her thighs.

"Maldito vestido."
"Damn dress."

As she hugged her coat closer to her, she examined the old crowded apartments. The neighborhood she lived in wasn't exactly the best nor was it the worst in New York City. She was born in California, but raised in East Harlem— also known as "El Barrio." This neighborhood is where a large number of Puerto-Ricans reside, along with others of Latino backgrounds. She loved that the people were all very caring and welcoming.

Softly, she blew clouds of smoke from her red lips. She looked around her surroundings, making sure no one was around. When she declared it to be safe, turquoise flames danced around her fingers. She knew it was irresponsible to do this in broad daylight, but she loved having the fire sway beneath her skin.

She discovered she had the ability to control fire not to long ago. Elenara was marveled by the beauty of her flames and was never once afraid. The only thing that did frighten her was if anyone had found out. The only people she had confessed this to was Doctor Erskine. She was terrified of confessing to her grandmother and best friends.

Erskine had politely asked to examine her blood and she consented to this as she too was curious of what would lie in her veins. He had stated that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Erskine wasn't entirely convinced and decided to conduct more tests.

He had inserted a drop of some kind of liquid that imitated a deadly virus. Her cells had immediately attacked the "virus" and promptly destroyed it. The doctor had gathered more data and concluded that not only could she control fire, but had healing properties. Asking one final favor, he had drawn more blood and only told her he will be examining it.

The young woman paused for a moment, halting her steps. Goosebumps rose from her skin as a chill ran down the lining of her spine. A slight shiver hit her as she turned her eyes to the dark abyss of the alley beside her.

A glass shattering scream case from a dark alleyway. It made Elenara cover her ears to muffle the painful shrill. Everything in her mind told her, do not walk towards it. But it wouldn't be the right thing to do. So hesitantly, as bravely as she could, she walked into the darkness. She held up her palm, igniting a blue-green flame. Light arrived and overtook a majority of the darkness, yet nothing was in sight.