I.X

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═CĪTLĀLMĪNĀ CHAPTER TEN // THE RIGHT PARTNERBROOKLYN, NEW YORK≫──────≪•◦  ☼  ◦•≫──────≪

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═
CĪTLĀLMĪNĀ
CHAPTER TEN // THE RIGHT PARTNER
BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

"I know this neighborhood." Steve said out loud as they passed by a group of boys playing baseball.

"I got beat up in that alley, " He pointed towards the alley as citizens busily walked on the sidewalk. "And that alley. And that diner." He added, looking down at his hands. Peggy slightly shook her head at him and faced forward.

Elenara was ordered to leave at a much earlier hour then they did. It was most likely Howard's doing.

He did, after all, love his Dolly.

"Did you have something against running away?" Steve shook his head.

"Once you start running, they'll never let you stop," He began, looking out the window. "You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever right?" Peggy glanced at him for a second and nodded.

"I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face. Elenara would know that better anyone." Steve slightly furrowed his brows.

"How so?"

"Well, some of the newer generation of agents weren't... comfortable, I would say, with her being there," Peggy shook her head in disdain.

"Many go as far as to say that she should go back to her country. It's ridiculous how people seem to hate on others solely on their race." Peggy said in an irritable tone.

"Welcome to America."

"We lived through it and I know it will get better." Peggy told him. Steve nodded and looked down at his lap.

"I guess I just don't know why you'd join the army if you were a beautiful dame. Or a... beautifu- woman," Steve began to stutter as his cheeks grew red. Peggy turned towards his, raising a brow.

"An agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful too, but El-" Steve gave up on his words and decided it would be best if he kept his mouth shut. Peggy forced back the smile creeping on her face.

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you? How have you even managed a conversation with Elena?"

"I don't need to know how to talk to a woman when I got Elle," Steve said without hesitation. "It's... easy to talk to her. Besides, woman aren't lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

"Are you sure about that?" As far as Peggy knew, Elenara would be the first woman in line for that dance. Steve merely stayed silent.