I.XV

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═CITLALMINACHAPTER FIFTEEN//THE COLOR OF BLOOD1943≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

═ ∘◦ ☼◦∘ ═
CITLALMINA
CHAPTER FIFTEEN//THE COLOR OF BLOOD
1943
≫──────≪•◦ ☼ ◦•≫──────≪

It has been nearly a year since Elenara has seen her abuelita and to say she missed her would be an understatement. She makes sure to tell her every single time whenever she writes to her.

However, due to the war, the postal service had been somewhat lacking, especially since Mexico had joined the allies last year. German U- boats had destroyed two Mexican oil tankers that were headed to the US; both carrying crude oil. The country was furious, so the president joined the war with the Allies.

Eventually, her letters had arrived to Elenara. She spoke of how beautiful Jalisco is and of her family. Her abuelita had joined the war effort by cooking for the soldiers. A smile broke out as she though of her and tightly gripped the envelope and placed it in the pocket of her coat.

She walked passed people that were eagerly waiting to see Steve's performance. Elenara had not failed to notice the stares she received. She inhaled a deep breath to relax. This was not a surprise, they were after all, in the South. Of course she was warned ahead of time, but she refused to stay behind and came to support Steve.

Elenara headed to the bathroom and immediately froze.

WHITES ONLY

Should she still enter the bathroom?

For so long she has seen signs like this in nearly every business; hideously posted in bold letters on windows. She loved this country, there's not doubt about that. But the hate and prejudice that resides within was something she thoroughly despised.

The Civil War ended over seventy years ago, yet the discrimination still strongly remained intact.

The goddess furrowed her brows, creasing the skin on her forehead. Her brown eyes stared down at her brown skin that was stuck to her. She was proud of her history, of her people, of her rich culture.

But why was she afraid?

Perhaps there was a silent fear of what the whites would do to her. After all, her entire empire was destroyed by the colonizers. If it wasn't by their hands, it was by the disease they brought.

Their screams were forever echoing deep in her mind. Always reminding her of her past reincarnations biggest failure.

Help us! Please!

Where are you, Huitzilopochtli?

Save us, Our Lord!