review | five

Firstborn by HenwinHarp

Reviewer : little_mxmo

GENRE : Fantasy 

OVERALL RATING : 4.8/5 ✩

First Impression :
I didn’t really have a first impression about this book. It’s not a bad thing, or anything, it just didn’t stand out too much to me. 

Graphics & Blurb :
I don’t know if you’ll take this as a good thing or a bad thing, but the cover looks like something I would read back when I was in 6th or 7th grade. No clue what the age-rating is for, but if that's what you were striving for, then great job! I just have to say, I do enjoy the blurb. Sometimes short, simple and to the point is what you need. Please don’t change this part!

First Chapter :
LOVED THIS FIRST CHAPTER. No grammar/spelling errors, and it was just a nice, smooth polished read. In other words, exactly what I like to read. I like how well written it is. I’ll explain more in the next section. 

Writing Style :
Like my first review, you certainly have a way with words. You’ve really changed my perspective on the fantasy genre. I can picture each scene perfectly, and your word choice is impeccable. Your writing style isn’t exactly unique though, but it DOES seem like something I’d pick up off the shelves in the local library or an independently owned bookstore. I’ve said this before, but it is very well polished and clear. Or like one of those movies you see on cable television and click on because the little summary sounds nice but then it turns out you actually really like the movie. Does that make sense? 

Characterization :
VERY GOOD JOB HERE. I certainly think that Leon is not exactly morally correct in some situations, being the privileged person he is. I like that though (not that he’s privileged, but the fact that I can so easily see his flaws). I also love how Bahar and Barnaby created their own language, and the fact that I can see a bit of golden son troupe excuted so perfectly. 

Word Building / Setting :
Good job on the pronunciation of the words at the beginning of the chapters, just had to say I appreciated that first. I’m getting kind of desert/middle eastern but at the same time a dystopian kind of vibe from the book? Also with the fantasy genre, you can create literally anything, yet people choose to stick to the same 6 troupes and plots. I’m glad to see you wrote this in a basic plot, yet added a few twists, turns and just generally spun your own tale with it. 

Plot :
The plot moves along very nicely, not too fast and not too slow either. I can see the workings of a real plot coming along, and I will very much be adding this to a reading list to keep in touch.