ramen & racing III

While waiting for the ramen, all three of them started to talk about the logistics and maintenance of their cars, a type of language you didn't quite understand. You thoughtlessly listened into their conversation about it, pretending like you knew what they were talking about.

You felt uncomfortable knowing you couldn't contribute much to their discussion, awkwardly sitting in your seat as you aimlessly scrolled on your phone through your social media apps. In the back of your mind, you knew how different you were compared to all of them, coming from a different upbringing and lifestyle. It didn't seem like you were supposed to be there, regardless if they invited you out.

You watched Leia flip her long black hair from one shoulder to the other, tilting her head slightly in Kuroo's direction as she listened to Oikawa speak. As he mentioned something about horsepower and explained the nitrous oxide attached to his combustion engine, you desperately tried to include yourself into their conversation with your background knowledge in chemistry.

"Why do you guys need Nitrous oxide in your cars?" You interrupted as all eyes laid in your direction.

Oikawa reclined back into his seat and tipped over his chair, chuckling slightly before shooting you a cheeky grin. He slipped his arm behind your back and traced the tip of his index finger against the edge of your waist. "It's how you win. You can't be the fastest in the race without using it."

"What piqued your interest in nitrous oxide?" Kuroo reclined back in his chair while flicking his bangs out of his eyes. Leia continued to snack on the plate of chicken wings in the middle of the table, shifting her attention to you.

"Well, I'm a biochemistry major," you placed your elbows on the table again, leaning forward. "Anything that involves whatever I'm studying brings my attention."

You crossed your right leg in front of your left as Oikawa placed his left hand on the outside of your left thigh, rubbing the tip of his finger against your leg in circles.

"Chemistry, huh? I used to be a chemistry major." Kuroo proudly smiled.

"Oh, really now?" You replied enthusiastically while widening your eyes. It was uncommon for you to hear anyone with an interest similar to yours outside of university, especially for a gang member.

"Yeah, I almost graduated and everything. Majored in chemical engineering and minored in physics. I also did part time research in a lab that specialized in crystallography." Kuroo placed his hands in his lap and reclined back into his seat, proud of his achievements.

"That's really cool, I always found crystallography so interesting." You rested your head on top of your left hand, tilting your head. Looking over to Leia, you saw her nod her head in agreement, confirming his statement.

"Yeah, so, my baby's a nerd," Leia chuckled as she took another bite out of the chicken wing. Kuroo shot her an embarrassed look, yet he didn't seem surprised by her humorous remark.

"Never knew that about you, DK." Oikawa piped up, nonchalantly tapping his left hand on your outer thigh and twirling his chopsticks in the other.

You turned your head back to Kuroo to continue the conversation. "You said you almost graduated, what happened there? How'd you end up racing?"

Kuroo gave a disdained expression, placing his hands on the table while looking down. He paused for a moment, reflecting on your words.

"Well, half way through my senior year, I ran out of money, so I asked a classmate of mine if I could work with him at his uncle's car shop since I was already familiar with the mechanics of cars, but it turned out to not be the kind of job I expected. They taught me how to deal, first selling marijuana on the streets of Tokyo until I was able to afford my classes again."