midnight streets V

You rushed back to your apartment, driving heinously on the road back to Shinjuku from Yokohama. With your hands wrapped tightly on the wheel, your foot stomped on the accelerator, weaving through cars on the road at the speed of light, passing them from left and right. The entire time, your heart pounded out of your chest while your breathing became erratic, still contemplating on the fact it was Suna's face you saw on the security footage.

You began to think about how all the dots led back to him—the receipts, the tattoos, the race, the coke —you wanted to scream out in frustration, but you shook off the temperament and focused your attention on the road ahead. All the connections that somehow led straight to Suna didn't seem obvious at first, but after knowing he could be affiliated with the TMPD—you cursed to yourself why no one was able to catch onto it.

You conjured up a fathomable amount of theories on your drive over—was there a reason why he was working with the police? Did he grow tired of the street racing scene and decided to sell information to the police for money? Was he being blackmailed by them, or was he potentially undercover the whole time?

A thousand different questions circled your mind that led to nowhere conclusive, but only one thing was for certain—Suna had a police badge, and that was enough information for you to unlock a whole new ring of investigation.

You wondered how to approach the others with this information, or even if you should tell them in the first place. Fear set into your mind, wondering to yourself why Suna was there to begin with? What was he looking for by visiting Iwaizumi? What exactly did Suna want with him?

Half past noon, you made it back to your apartment promptly, cutting your travel time by thirty minutes. Although you were haphazardly paying attention to the road, occupied by ruminating thoughts, you got home safely regardless. You locked your car and walked up the stairs to your building, greeting Mr. Nekomata on the porch with a quick hello before shutting your apartment door behind you.

You hung your bag on a hood and draped your coat along a kitchen chair, exhaling breath of exhaustion before looking around your place. It was eerily quiet— enough so that you felt like no one was here. The breakfast you had made that morning was neatly tucked into glass tupperware within the fridge, along with the dishes and cookware freshly washed and drying on the rack next to the sink.

Oikawa had done exactly what you asked of him, yet, his presence was not felt in the kitchen. You scoured through your bedroom, bathroom, and living room to find that he was nowhere in sight, wondering to yourself if he had escaped once again. While opening your front door, you quickly checked under the mat if the key was still placed exactly where you left it—and to your surprise, it was moved from the corner that you usually leave it at. It was confirmed—he had left your apartment.

You closed your door slowly to not worry Mr. Nekomata and locked it shut—immediately scurrying through your bag to grab your phone. Oikawa didn't even bother to leave a note explaining his whereabouts, which left you in another panic to where your heart was going to explode out of your chest. Who knows—maybe it might be you that will wind up in the hospital next.

While scrolling through your list of contacts, you actively searched for Kenma's name again, wondering if Oikawa had gone back to them. Once the dial tone began to ring, you pressed the phone next to your ear and closed your eyes, letting out a sigh of frustration while you placed your hand on your forehead, pushing your hair back.

"Hey," Kenma quickly picked up on the other end, letting the dial tone only ring twice. "Looking for Cypher?"

You exhaled in relief, knowing it was actually Kenma behind the phone and not Kuroo. "Yeah, wait—how'd you know?"