the suicide plan II

There was a silence between everyone in the room after the proposed blackmail, drawing out longer than intended. Detective Washijou stared at the receipts in Leia's hand, then back at Leia. He could see his own reflection in the thin black sunglasses she was wearing, taking note of her lips pursing in apprehension as the seconds passed in complete silence. He knew she would grow nervous.

Suddenly, Detective Washijou began to smile and lean back into his office chair, chuckling under his breath before the laughter began to grow louder and louder. Confusion grew across Leia's face as well as Kenma's and Kita's, wondering why the old man was laughing.

The Mayor and the Chief Municipal began to chuckle with him, joining into a congregation of laughter amongst the room. Nothing about their amusement was joyful, but instead filled with ill intent and animosity. The three men were expecting their company sooner or later.

"Why are you laughing?" Leia questioned, lowering her arm down.

Detective Washijou continued to smile mischievously, leaning forward in his chair to rest his elbows down on the table, connecting the tips of his fingers together directly underneath his chin. He raised his eyebrows slightly while tilting his head down, all without breaking eye contact.

"What receipts?"

He shrugged his shoulders while facing his palms out, mimicking the expression of confusion—even when he knew exactly what they were talking about.

"Th-these receipts," Leia stuttered, noting the beginning phase of her nervousness. She pointed a shaky finger at the stack of paper in her right hand, sweat accumulating at the edge of her forehead. "Thirty years of receipts between the TMPD and my father."

Detective Washijou shrugged his shoulders again and closed his eyes, turning the edge of his lips downwards while mimicking the confused motions again. "I know nothing of what you talk about."

Anger started to fuel within Leia's body, feeling the heat within the palms of her hands. Yet, she tried to remain civil, despite the growing frustration. She started to grind her teeth before responding back, digging her free hand into her blazer pocket to grab her phone.

"We have every single Tokyo News Station within the press of a button to expose the living filth you men are." She began to raise her voice, shoving her phone screen out for them to see. "The Men on Fire, the River Bodies Incident, the Sky Tree Shooting... every single tragedy caused by the Sakanoshita Clan within the past thirty years in Tokyo—and you guys have been paid to be silent."

Leia listed the bigger tragedies her father caused throughout the past three decades, but there are thousands of smaller ones that were also under the list of the receipts that she didn't mention. The Sakanoshita Clan paid the TMPD a hefty amount of money per month just for basic bribery, but during specific tragedies that damage property or cause a public uproar, they increase the amount of hush-money given on those occasions.

Detective Washijou began to laugh again, followed by the chief municipal and the mayor. Their laughs were comedic and nonchalant, taunting the threats of blackmail proposed from Leia. Kenma began to loosen the grip he had on his phone while the screen dimmed to black. Kita began to scratch the side of his head, confusion lingering within his expression.

"You kids are funny." Detective Washijou chuckled, bringing a fist up to his mouth to cover his subtle cough. "I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while."

Leia exhaled in frustration, almost growling in the back of her throat. She slammed her hands on the table, rattling the pens and cups of coffee sitting stagnant on the surface. "Do I look like a fucking comedian to you, old man? I'm not playing games—release Tetsuro Kuroo and Tooru Oikawa or we'll expose the reputation of the TMPD for being corrupt to the media and all of Japan."