midnight streets I

There was a strange noise echoing within the hospital room that Oikawa could not ignore within his deep slumber.

It echoed the same as tinnitus; but with a lower pitch that caused a shuddering sensation that sprawled through his spine. The noise instantly woke him up, slowly but surely fluttering his eyes open. His breathing was deep and steady but the nasal tubes placed within his nostrils felt uncomfortable, while the machine pumped cold static air. It wrapped around his head and throat where it felt intensely suffocating to his comfort, even when it didn't appear as such.

Despite the short recovery time, Oikawa still felt disoriented and confused within his surroundings, leading to an intense burst of adrenaline that his body was not able to handle. Jolting forward and restrained by several intravenous needles connected to multiple parts of his body, Oikawa took a deep breath before coughing profusely, knocking away the nasal tube wrapped around his head.

Oikawa's eyes rapidly moved from side to side as his eyelids arose gradually, unveiling a blurred image of the hospital room around him. The sterile white walls came into focus while his heart raced within his chest, feeling the blood rush straight through his body with every pump. He asked himself, 'Where am I?' while he tried to recollect his thoughts; cycling through which event he remembered last.

Amidst his distressed state, he took notice of someone quietly sitting nearby, absorbed in their handheld game. Faint laser noises emerged from the device, and what appeared like a small figure turned out to be Kenma Kozume—someone Oikawa did not expect to see at the side of his hospital bed, but nonetheless was grateful he was a familiar face.

Kenma tightened his grip on the controllers, dragging his thumb across the joycons while rapidly abusing the primary face button. His knees were tucked close to his chest, shrouding over like a hunched mythical witch. He exhaled a sigh of frustration after he finished, sparing a glance from his game to finally lock eyes with Oikawa's expressionless face.

"Oh hey, you're awake," Kenma chuckled under his breath, observing Oikawa's mouth hanging slightly ajar with his eyelids half opened.

On the bed, multiple intravenous fluid bags were attached to him via needles across his arms, ranging from the inside of his elbow to in between his knuckles. He was still attached to a heart monitor machine, patches of wires connected all throughout his entire body too. Oikawa tried to mutter a word out, but only gurgling noises could be heard from up close.

"So... how was jail?" Kenma asked in an amusing tone, cracking a smirk towards him.

Oikawa's original expressionless state changed within a second when he suddenly received another burst of energy from the residuals of his initial adrenaline rush. He attempted to rise from his bed in a hurry, which caught Kenma by surprise. While Oikawa began to pull cords and wires away from his body, Kema dropped his gaming device and halted his hands from ripping off any more.

"What are you doing?" Kenma raised an eyebrow, tightening his small grip on Oikawa's left wrist.

Oikawa didn't respond; he continued his attempt to escape in his hospital gown with several large wounds on his body held together by stitches and bandages. Kenma was forced to use both of his hands to restrain Oikawa back in his place, but somehow, he found himself struggling to detain the man. His strength was not proportional to his state of ailment, which confused Kenma to make sense of.

"Yo dude, it's literally past 3 AM, you can't leave right now," Kenma warned, placing his hand on Oikawa's chest before attempting to push him back down on the bed. His body made a thudded noise, but he quickly arose—reaching his arms out to pull himself up.