enigma's secret V

Tokyo — Spring, two years ago

The drug deal with Oikawa unfortunately marked the beginning of  Suna's decline into a heavy addiction to marijuana and other copious  narcotics.

The PSIA had a strict protocol to store away the drugs  purchased through planned deals for observation, but surprisingly Kenji  recommended for Suna to keep the product for himself, saying it would  help with his assimilation while undercover as another street racer— it  would make him fit in better and not stand out too much within the  crowd.

Unfortunately, just like most things in his life, Suna took it too far and assimilated too   well—in fact, he shifted his entire personality to fit into the  character he had to portray for the underground street racing scene. It  was a complete shock to his fellow colleagues who knew him as a shy and  timid teenager when he first joined the PSIA, but now he's turned over a  new leaf.

It got to the point Suna started seeing Oikawa for drug  deals weekly, spending his own money for a few grams of his supply. At  first it was supposed to help him get into character while undercover,  but Suna took it a bit far, looking for a daily fix at the height of his  addiction. Every morning, he'd wake up and contact Oikawa, asking him  if they could meet for another deal.

Their meeting spot wasn't  always the same place. Sometimes, Oikawa would ask to meet at different  areas around Tokyo—sometimes at the corner of random bars, deep under  Shinjuku station, or even on the streets of Kabukicho, right out in the  open with other people around. Though, their most memorable deal was  when he asked Suna to meet him at one of the races in Downtown Tokyo.  That was where Oikawa introduced him to Kita.

In hindsight,  Oikawa regretted ever introducing them. When Suna first met Kita, the  Inarizaki Bois were just newly formed. Kita was looking for members to  join, and Suna so happened to hit it off with him at first encounter.  They bonded over familial issues, slowly but surely finding out they had  a lot more in common than they realized. They could relate to each  other more than just on a surface level, and sooner than later, Suna was  initiated into the Inarizaki Bois.

Unfortunately for Oikawa, that  meant Suna was no longer a source of money for him. Immediately after  Suna's initiation, he completely dropped Oikawa as a plug. There wasn't  much contact with him after that, since Suna now had an easier way of  integrating himself within the underground street racing scene without  much effort. Oikawa didn't realize it would have negatively affected his  business as well.

It didn't take long for Suna to change  physically, either. He started to dress in darker clothing, skip a few  haircuts, added piercings to his ears and face, inked on a few  tattoos—all within a couple of weeks, Suna looked completely  unrecognizable from himself a year ago.

Although Suna looked the  part, he still did not take any of the mission seriously enough, which  caused him to ultimately slack off on his research and effort to  integrate into the street racing scene. All Suna did was use the  Inarizaki Bois as a way to get free weed and other drugs. He figured  once he tackled the hurdle of trying to get initiated into a gang, it  would be smooth sailing from there—but in fact, it was just the first  step getting into the deep end.

Kenji was never impressed by  Suna's lack of initiative—he noticed his declining efforts in regards to  the mission while simultaneously exploiting PSIA resources for his own  personal benefit. There was never anything valuable Suna was able to  report back for each check-in for several months, causing the mission's  plan to go a lot slower than intended. This led to Kenji scolding Suna  at one of their check-ins, disrupting the barriers of their father-son  relationship once he addressed the severity of the issue with personal  matters.