I'll Be Seeing You

There was a layer of cold sweat sticking to your skin and your pulse was racing, this time not from excitement. It felt like you were going to be sick while you listened to the chime of the elevator as it hit each floor. As you reached the lobby, Nova broke apart from you to return the room keys and complete the checkout process. You knew what she was doing, trying to give you whatever fleeting moments of alone time you could manage with Namjoon before you had to watch him walk away from you for who knows how long.

When you opened the hotel's front exit door, you saw him. Leaning casually against his car with his hands shoved into his pockets, his eyes found yours immediately. The way he was looking at you - the way he always looked at you - made your heart squeeze and your stomach do somersaults. You couldn't help yourself. Dropping the bag slung haphazardly over your shoulder, you ran down the small flight of concrete steps and into his open arms. He didn't hesitate to crush you against his chest and lift you off of the ground. You breathed each other in like you were coming home from a too-long trip, despite the fact that it had been but a few hours since he had brought you back this morning.

"Good morning, gorgeous. I missed you." More somersaults.

You nuzzled into his chest and were glad that your dopey grin was hidden from him. "Prince Charming all the way til the end, huh?" You teased.

He pulled back to look at you, a hint of worry and confusion painted across his handsome face. "The end?" Once again, your poor word choice ruined a perfectly good moment. "I didn't mean it like that. I just meant-." He kissed your cheek. "I know what you meant, I'm just giving you a hard time. I wanted to watch you squirm one more time before you left." He winked; evil man.

He looked over your shoulder. "Where's Thing Two?"

You both jumped as Nova's voice chirped from behind you on the other side of the trunk. "Excuse me?!"

"Jesus! I'm gonna put a bell on you, woman." You shoved her shoulder and she rolled her eyes.

"You would have noticed me had you not been making goo goo eyes at Mr. Tall, Dark, and Perfect."

That made Namjoon's eyebrow raise and the corner of his mouth curve slightly. "Mister what?" Nova waved him off and started loading your bags into the open trunk, slapping Namjoon's hands away when he offered to help. You watched them fondly as they bickered back and forth about chivalry and feminism and independence and something about how Nova is too stubborn and Namjoon is too polite, blah, blah, blah. This was the first time she had ever approved of anyone she was interested in, even if he couldn't tell.

The ride to the airport went by too quickly for your liking, and you tried not to think about all of the things you had planned to do that you may have forgotten or the hidden places that still had yet to be discovered by you. You stifled the attempts that your own thoughts were making to tarnish the past fourteen days. Namjoon guided the car smoothly into the drop-off lane and parked. Nova reached over the driver's seat to pat Namjoon on the shoulder. "Welp, I'll be seeing ya, Joonie." He looked at her in the rear view mirror. "I'm not even gone yet."

"I'm not good at goodbyes, damnit." With a roll of her eyes, Nova climbed out of the back seat, leaving the two of you alone in the thick silence. Your hands were entwined and you both stared at them as if they were a bomb that would explode should they separate. Or at least, it felt like that.

You swallowed, your mouth too dry. "Namjoon."

"Don't." His thumb skimmed your lower lip and your eyes fluttered closed. "You don't need to say anything. This isn't goodbye. Not even close. Distance and time won't change the fact that you're mine." You opened your eyes, batting back the tears building behind your lids. He was so good at reassuring you that everything was going to be more than okay. He leaned forward so that his lips were a hair's length away from yours. Just before they touched yours, however, you heard a vaguely familiar male voice and then Nova's high-pitched "What the fuck?!"