Gratitude

You took the elevator down and left the nearly empty lobby of the World Tower. No longer filled with the sounds of hustling and bustling businessmen and women, the open space felt more like a marble museum than anything. The security guards behind the front counter watched the cameras mindlessly, not bothering to glance your way as Jimin escorted you to the doors. 

The street outside was still exploding with life, despite the time of night. A city that truly never slept.

A brisk breeze blew your hair, whipping it in front of your face. Releasing Jimin's hand you instinctively reached to grab a hold of your shawl and pull it up around your shoulders in attempts to shield yourself from the wind.

The tips of your fingers met thin air, you must have left it inside the restaurant. You quickly looked back at the doors behind you. You noticed a security guard walking up to the doors from the inside, locking them.

"Damn it." You huffed under your breath.

"What's wrong?" Jimin turned in the direction you were facing.

"I left my shawl inside." You explained with a sigh.

Jimin took notice of the security guard locking the door, sealing the idea of getting it back with the clicks of the metal.

"Ah shit, I'm sorry." Jimin frowned, the curse sounded wrong coming from his lips.

"It's fine. It's not your fault. I'll manage, don't worry." You smiled, waving your hand dismissively.

"I can try and stop by tomorrow to get it and bring it to your hotel." Jimin suggested as he turned to you.

Raising your hands you wrapped them around yourself and rubbed your palms against your bare arms to warm up. His offer was sweet, but tomorrow you would be with. . . You cast your gaze away and shook your head. "No, that's fine, you don't have to go through that much trouble. It's just a piece of fabric." You insisted, not wanting to point out that you wouldn't be at the hotel tomorrow, though he knew that already.

Jimin fell silent for a moment, and you could feel his eyes on you before he raised his arms to shrug off his suit jacket from his shoulders, letting it slide down his arms. He swung it around your shivering frame and draped it over you. "Well then, at the very least take my jacket." He said, smiling at you softly as he placed his hands over your now clothed shoulders. The look in his deep brown eyes was asking you not to refuse.

Reluctantly you nodded and grabbed the hem of the jacket and pulled it closed. It was warm and smelled of lemongrass and a soothing musk. "Thank you." You grinned and looked at your feet.

Jimin released your shoulders and tucked a stray strand of hair behind your ear. "Don't mention it. Looks better on you anyway." You rolled your eyes and came up beside him, giving his arm a playful nudge. The two of you began to walk aimlessly down the sidewalk, and you used the cold as an excuse to cross your arms over your chest.

It wasn't that you didn't want to hold his hand, which you knew he'd try to do the second one of yours was free. You just didn't want him to feel how clammy they were. You were leaving soon, and this was the last night you would be seeing him for who knew how long.

You had come to the realization days ago, honestly you weren't sure if there had been a doubt in your mind in the first place. You'd been entranced by Namjoon from the beginning, and the feeling hadn't dwindled or diminished for a second, no matter how much time you spent with Jimin. Then again, this wasn't a competition. This was never a test to see who you'd choose. You'd just needed to make sure that the feelings you'd felt for Jimin weren't more than a slight attraction.