Our Date

Nova dressed in a hurry, not wanting to elicit more worry in the barely-calm Hoseok. Blowing a kiss to you, she speed walked out the door, leaving you to get ready for your - whatever this was - with Jimin. Was it a date? Any time you went out alone with him it felt like that, but the knot forming in your stomach as you thought the word prevented you from considering it as such. Jimin had already declared his feelings for you but thankfully hadn't expected anything from you in return. You were grateful that he wasn't forcing you or rushing you into anything just yet. 

In his message, he'd told you to dress nice, something fancy. You didn't bring a large variety of upscale clothing with you on this trip, but you had the time before you were to meet to go out in the nearby shopping district and find something suitable within a reasonable price range. He hadn't given you much to go on as to where he was taking you, but judging from the last time, you had to choose wisely. 

To say you felt out of place in the elegant boutique you had wandered into would be an understatement. The employees were dressed to the nines in pants suits that undoubtedly cost more than your rent, even their name badges were etched onto plated silver. You gulped and resisted the urge to run back out. Nobody seemed to notice you, save for a group of middle aged women whispering to each other and trying to be subtle in their staring. 

The store - is there an elegant way to say store? - was decorated in soft pink tones, with white accent rugs spread throughout. Impressive crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, making rainbow colored lights dance along the white walls. Mannequins modelling sparkling satin gowns and glistening diamond necklaces were strategically placed to catch the eye and make one dream. Your fingertips ran over a row of lapis lazuli ball gowns. Someone cleared their throat next to you and you jumped. Turning, you saw an apologetic smile given to you by a sales representative, no judgement or confusion in her eyes whatsoever. It was a relief. 

"May I help you, miss?" Her voice was soft and polite, much to be expected from the petite woman next to you. Her black, almost blue, hair was cut sharply just above her shoulders and her skin was flawless. The engraving on the silver tag above her breast pocket told you that her name was Mina. Mina with the kind eyes and warm smile. 

Your shoulders slumped and she looked almost amused as you visibly relaxed. "Um, maybe? I'm looking for something . . ." Don't say fancy, don't say fancy, don't say fancy, "Formal?" your stammering hesitation made every word you said sound like a question. Her smile widened and she nodded. She walked past you to the other side of the store where the lighter blue and green fabric meshed together. 

Pulling a few items from various racks, she wordlessly gestured for you to follow her to what you assumed was a fitting room. "I think these colors go well with your skin tone, and these styles would look excellent with your curves." She sounded so professional, but not in a way that made you feel inferior. You appreciated her immensely. She hung the selections on a rod in the room and left after telling you that she would be right outside if you needed her. 

She had picked six dressed for you to try on, and you had to admit that she had amazing taste. She definitely knew what she was doing. The first three dresses were all sea foam green and if you had the means, you would have bought them all. The fourth was dark purple and had a plunging neckline. You could practically picture Jimin's eyes popping out of his head and him licking his lips, so needless to say you took that one off quickly. 

Number five was a stunning red number that hugged your curves in all the right places, but it made you feel a little too fiery. The last one was the winner. This one was a gorgeous teal that was almost opalescent at certain angles. The dress was floor length but had a single slit that ran up to about mid thigh that would make walking a bit easier. The neckline wasn't exactly modest but it didn't bring the wrong amount of attention to your bust. It was sleeveless, so you paired it with a sheer grey shawl as protection from the elements should you get cold and you picked up a pair of matching grey heels. Small heels that didn't have much height to them as you imagined you'd get sick of the pain in your feet quickly.

With Mina's help, and generous discount, you were back in your hotel room half an hour later. You had brought enough accessories with you to complete the outfit, a silver ring here and there and, of course, your favorite necklace. You twisted your hair, putting it up in a bun that let a couple of curled tendrils and your bangs frame your face. You put on only a faint bit of makeup to help brighten up your features.

Geez, when was the last time you got dressed up like this? A quick look in the mirror made you question if you were even looking at yourself. The woman staring back at you was confident and sophisticated and poised. You weren't used to this kind of life . . . was he? Jimin seemed like the type to want to spoil someone, to shower them with gifts and finery. Your mind once again drifted back to Namjoon and the carefree fun you had had with him this past week. It was like he knew without having to ask that this wasn't something you were comfortable doing or could learn to love. 

You didn't think he had bad intentions, but you couldn't help but realize that Jimin hadn't once asked what you would like to do. Nor had he seemed to notice how you squirmed under the harsh light of the rich and famous. Taking a deep breath, you put your thoughts in a drawer to be opened later. You checked the time on the bedside table alarm clock and noticed there was an hour left before you were to meet. You figured that was enough time to get a cab and head that way. Just as you were packing the rest of your things into your clutch purse, you heard your phone ding. Grabbing it, you quickly checked the message to see that it was from Jimin. A picture with a caption.

Are you ready? - Jiminie

You took one look at the picture and quickly pulled the phone to your chest to cover the screen as you took in a deep breath and clamped down on your lower lip with your teeth. You weren't expecting to be met with such a handsomely adorable face. But...at least you knew now you weren't over dressed. No, you probably couldn't get used to a life of luxury, but you didn't mind how well that man could clean up.

You took a moment to compose yourself before drawing the phone back to look at the picture one more time. You weren't going to take a picture for him. No, he'd just have to wait and see you himself, since you were still a little nervous about wearing all of this.

Yes. I'm leaving my hotel now. You sent back before stuffing the phone into your purse and heading for the door.

Leaving the hotel, you were met with an unusual amount of kindness that made you cringe. Men opening doors for you and smiling a little too long or making a show of looking you up and down. It made your eyes roll. It was pathetic how quickly a man's demeanor could change based on what you were wearing or how you looked. But you were glad that it caused you not to have any trouble hailing a cab.

Climbing inside, you offered the address to the driver and were informed it would take around fifty minutes to get there, putting you just a few minutes before the meeting time. Good. Just as you were about to settle into your long ride, you felt your phone begin to vibrate.

Pulling it from your clutch bag, the screen opened up to a message from Nova.

Nova and I want some privacy, so she's turning her phone off for a couple hours. Don't worry. If anything important happens, call me. - Hoseok

Why did he have her phone? Why was her phone being turned off? You glared at the offending words and gripped the metal sides of your phone tightly. After his little outburst earlier, you were even more on edge when it came to him. You tried to calm down. You didn't trust him, but you did trust her. Nova knew how to take care of herself and her judgement was sound enough that you knew she wouldn't allow trouble to find her. Still, you were protective of her more than anyone in the world and all of Korea wouldn't be enough to save Hoseok if - no, you couldn't think like that. She was fine, this was fine.

You bit your lip and sent back a semi threatening reply to the man who was occupying your best friend's time. Sitting in the backseat of the cab, you rung your hands together nervously for more than one reason now. This might be the last time you would see Jimin before you leave. You let your mind play through the last two weeks like a movie behind your lids as you closed your eyes. The first time you met all seven of them, and every day since. You hoped to god that this wouldn't be the last memories you'd make with them all. You shook that thought from your head and tried to remain optimistic like your best friend.

Casting your gaze out the window, you watched the lights in the sky go down with each passing mile as you tried to let your mind drift back to more peaceful thoughts. Now was not the time.