Chapter 1 - Madison

I'm sitting in the car, watching as my brother converses with a few of his teammates. I lean back and my phone vibrates on the console.

I groan as I take in the name.

Bryan.

My boyfriend of two months who's quickly turned to regret and a pain in my ass.

I don't want to answer but I know he will just keep calling until I do pick up.

With a heavy hand, I answer, "Hello." I greet reluctantly.

"Babe, are we still on for tonight?"

Well hello to you too.

"You could start off by saying hi you know. That's usually what people do when someone answers."

I can practically see the fumes coming out of his nose. He hates being corrected or being told what to do.

It's his way or the highway and it's caused me to feel embarrassed whenever we're in public. He doesn't have the best manners.

Or personality. Someone remind me why I decided to give him a chance?

"Babe, answer the question." Of course, he ignores what I said. "Are we still going out tonight or not? I haven't seen you in forever."

I just saw you last night. I refrain from telling him that though. Don't want to knock his marbles so I settle for the truth. "I can't. I came to pick up my little brother from practice then I got to head to work. Get some study time afterward if I can."

Though I will most likely be knocked out. My shift ends around midnight and I know I'll be exhausted.

He lets out a dark chuckle just as I see Liam waving goodbye at his teammates and heading for my passenger door. "Of course, you put everyone else before me, right?"

My brother stiffens as he takes a seat, his bag on his lap.

I grimace as I take him off speaker, knowing he's about to go off on a rant.

"Do you not remember that you have a boyfriend? I only see you once a week, Mad! Once!" He keeps going, loud enough even without the speaker on. Liam frowns and I exit the car, phone to my ear. "And you never even call me, not even to ask, 'Hey, babe, how's your day going? Nothing! I get nothing! It's like you don't even remember I exist!" Oh, he's on a roll now. "I'm always the one who has to keep on calling you! You know how it feels like to see your friends' girlfriends' calling them just to check up on them when my own never even bothers to text me! It's like you don't even care about me!"

Well...

"Do you care about me, Madison? Because if not, it's best if this just ends now."

I stay quiet for a few moments pondering what to say even though the answer is a no-brainer.

"I do care about you," I start, not a complete lie. "But you're right, I'm a horrible girlfriend. You deserve better than me."

"You're damn right I do. I deserve to be put first, to be treated like a king."

I try to hold back a chuckle at his words. What a narcissistic asshole! It's a shame I didn't see it sooner.

"I'm only going to ask you one more time, Madison." His voice lowers. "Are we going out later or not?"

"We're not." I automatically respond and I feel a weight lift off my chest as he says, "Okay, then this is it. I won't be with a woman who won't put me first. Goodbye, Madison."

Then he hangs up.

And just like that, I'm single again.

A wave of relief washes over me. I don't know how much longer I could've lasted with him but I'd been insinuating we should part ways since three weeks ago. He wasn't getting the memo. It had to be on his terms. Thankfully, it didn't take too long for him to figure it out.