Chapter 6 - Madison

I knock softly on the door on the opposite side of this ridiculously large penthouse and no one answers. I knock again and hear soft snoring.

I slowly open the door and see Vanessa sleeping, looking peaceful.

I hate to wake her up but I need to know why we're here.

I walk up to her and shake her softly. "V, Vanessa! Wake up!"

"Mmm, yeah?" She stirs and I lean back.

"What are we doing here, Vanessa?"

"What are we doing-?" She mumbles, repeating my own words to herself, then suddenly is sitting up with a gasp. "What time is it?"

"Nine," I say and she shoots up.

"I need coffee." She throws the covers off her and is running out the door before I can get another word out.

I sigh feeling a bit frustrated not knowing why we're here and not at the hotel.

I follow slowly after and take in Maxon's penthouse. The walls are a beautiful gray color with a wooden pattern. It somehow works with the wooden floors and when we pass by the living room the floor-to-ceiling windows offer a spectacular view of New York. It's kind of intimidating. Like him.

"Good morning!" Vanessa greets as she and I enter the kitchen where Maxon and Luke appear to have been in a heated discussion.

"Morning sis, how was your sleep?"

She shrugs and says, "Fine but I need coffee." She reaches for Luke's cup when she finds none in the pot.

"Hey! That's mine, Ness!"

"It's mine now." She makes to take a sip when he mutters, "you sure you want to drink from that? Do you know where my mouth has been?"

Her hand stops her ascent and she grimaces at what Luke implied.

He smirks as he snatches it back from her. "That's what I thought."

She crosses her arms across her chest.
"Make me some then."

Luke's brows raise. "What?"

"I want coffee, Luke. Make me some please." V glances at me. "Or would you want Madi to view you as a bad host?"

He sighs, "Fine." And Vanessa gives me a wink.

"Would you like some, Madison?" He asks and I shake my head at the same time Vanessa says. "Oh, Madi doesn't like coffee."

Both Maxon and Luke's brows raise. "Really." He sounds almost intrigued as he shoots a peek at Maxon. "Max here is the same way. Prefers to start his day with a smoothie!"

"No way! Mad too! What a coincidence right?" She shoots me a wink and I peer over at Maxon who sips from his cup as he appears uninterested in the conversation.

"Vanessa," I warn, not liking what they're insinuating. "Oh hush, Mad." She steers me in the direction where Maxon is sitting and sits me right down next to him. He stiffens and so do I. "Vanessa." I try again and she waves a hand. "I'll explain everything I just need coffee first."

My lips tighten and I sit there awkwardly. Maxon puts his phone away and glances over at me with a grin. "Sorry about this morning. I-I probably sounded as if I expected something but—"

Vanessa whips around from where she's making sure Luke doesn't add anything she doesn't like to her coffee. "What happened this morning?"

I shake my head and Maxon answers, "Nothing. I gave her what you requested I buy."

Vanessa leans back with a grin. "And she wanted to pay you I'm sure."

My lips thin as Maxon doesn't answer. "It's fine, Mad. I paid for it."