Chapter 26 - Madison

I'm walking out of class when my phone pings with a text message.

I open it and find a message from Maxon. My heart picks up its pace at seeing his name.

Before he left my house the first night he arrived, he made sure we exchanged phone numbers. I had asked him what had happened to his and he had replied that he broke his in a fit of rage. I was shocked when he confessed it was the night Jake texted him but he gave no further explanation. Instead, he'd asked me if it was true if I had dropped mine and I had nodded, showing him my collection of broken iPhones. He laughed and asked why I would keep them if they no longer worked. I had shrugged not really knowing why. When I asked him who had told him about my phone incident he only confirmed my suspicions. Vanessa. That girl. She's just as sneaky as her brother.

Maxon: Good morning, beautiful

A smile graces my face at the greeting. I type back not being able to help myself,

Me: Hey, good morning. I'm assuming you just woke up?

He and I stayed up late last night talking on the phone about everything and anything. I told him to get some rest so his body could heal faster but he replied back saying only I can help heal him faster. I shook my head at his cheesiness and told him as much. He didn't deny it and said he was proud to be that way with me.

The three dots pop up and just imagining him lying there...in bed. 

Typing...

Goodness, I try not to picture a sexy, just woken up Maxon. He doesn't make the situation better.

Maxon: I did. Had the best sleep of my life too. Guess who starred in my dreams?

I bite my lip having a good idea.

Me: Um...you?

Maxon: Besides me.

I hold back a grin.

Me: ...Luke.

Maxon: Hell no. Those aren't dreams. Those are nightmares. Have you heard him snore? Been getting the best sleep of my life since I left my own place.

I let out a laugh at that and another message pops up.

Maxon: You. Always you. I wish you had decided to come back here with me. :(

My heart sinks a bit. Maxon wanted badly for him and me to hang out last night but I told him I had to get up bright and early today to come to class and then head to work afterward. He wasn't happy about it but accepted it.

Me: You know I couldn't. Another day.

Maxon: I'll hold you to that ;)

Maxon: What are you doing today? After work?

A girl bumps into me and we both apologize to each other at the same time.

"Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going."

"I'm so sorry, I'm running late—hey." Her eyes narrow slightly, taking me in with curiosity,
"Have I seen you before?"

"Um, who? Me?" I point to myself wondering if she's confused but she nods her head slowly, studying my face.

I shift in discomfort as she continues to take me in. "No. I don't think so. Probably around campus?"

She snaps her fingers as it hits her. "That's right! You're the one who was with Maxon Blake on the horse carriage!"

My heart picks up its pace, not knowing how she'll react. "I—"

"My brother and I are huge fans of his!" She whoops, reaching for her phone. "Can I take a picture with you? You're his girlfriend right?"