Chapter 39 - Madison

A month later...

Maxon thrusts in one last time sending us both over the edge. I run my hands up his back and tangle them in his hair. He drops a kiss onto my lips, his lips moving seamlessly with mine. Like a puzzle piece connecting over and over again. I grin against his lips. "This is quite a way to say happy birthday." He lets out a soft laugh, our breaths evening out.

"I actually got you something." He pulls out of me and goes to dispose of the condom. I sit up, looking for my shirt which is tossed to the floor. For the past month, I've felt like I've been living in a fairytale. Maxon has been so attentive to me and not only that—he's offered the same courtesy to my family. After spending all day with him at the beach last month, they all felt significantly closer to him. I mean, he's kind of hard to resist. He's such a charmer. Even Vanessa's new man got along great with him.

I pick up the shirt, throwing it on when Maxon comes back with a box in hand.

My heart rate picks up at the thought of what's in there. For a second, I think it's a ring but then I notice the box is a bit bigger than that. My shoulders loosen. No matter how much I love Maxon, I'm just not ready for marriage yet. I'm only turning twenty-three.

"You put your shirt back on?" He juts his bottom lip out and I let out a light laugh.

"Yes. You should put on some boxers too."

"Why? I know you like me better this way."

I blush, not denying it.

He does have an incredible body. But his heart is even more spectacular.

He sighs dramatically, "All eight. But they'll come right off again."

My cheeks continue to rise in temperature.

With boxers on, he takes a seat next to me.

"Beautiful, you have no idea how honored I am to wake by your side on this special day. Without this day, I would've never known you and for that, I am eternally grateful to your mom." He reaches out to grab my hand, and drops a kiss onto it, never breaking eye contact with me. "She gave birth to the most beautiful, kind, selfless woman and I am beyond happy I get to call you my girlfriend."

I give him a small smile, trying not to get emotional.

Maxon is such a romantic. I never would've expected him to be like this but he is and I'm blessed to have such a thoughtful person in my life.

"I bought you a gift, made specifically with you in mind."

My heart picks up, racing a mile a minute as he hands me the dark blue velvet box.

I glance up at him and he nods toward it. "Open it."

With shaky hands I do and I gasp at the sight.

It's a golden bracelet made into a braided pattern. The words "MI AMOR" are engraved in the middle adorned by two small gold roses on each side.

"Maxon." I whisper, "It's so beautiful."

"Do you like it?" He leans in, taking in my reaction.

"Maxon, I love it. It's—I have no words. No one's ever gifted me anything close to this. It must have cost you a small fortune."

He shrugs. "It's just money, Madison. You should know that nothing matters to me other than keeping you happy."

Tears drip down my eyes and I throw myself at him, hugging him to me. "It wasn't necessary but thank you. Thank you so much."

He tightens his arms around me then pulls back slightly to meet my gaze. "Do you want to try it on?"

I nod and he takes the box, lifting the glorious bracelet. I hold out my wrist and he carefully places it there, latching the little lock.