Chapter 4 - Madison

That was the worst, longest fucking airplane ride of my life. We had to make a stop in Phoenix before flying out here and ended up getting a two-hour delay—something about an engine. Turned out, we had to get on another plane where I started experiencing stomach cramps. I had hoped to God I didn't get my period but life wasn't on my side. As we got ready to board off, I noticed a huge red stain on the seat. Shit. Just what I had needed. V and I stayed back a while after the others left. Thank the Lord the flight attendant lady understood. "Accidents happen" she'd said. Vanessa ended up tipping her a few hundred bucks for her trouble.

"I feel bad," I say, reaching for one of the last two bags on the conveyer belt.

V reaches for the other. "It was no problem. Really."

"Vanessa, you know I don't feel comfortable with people paying for things that concern me."

"Madison," she rests her hands on either side of my shoulders, staring at me with serious blue eyes. "It seriously was no problem. You're my best friend, I wanted to." She gives me a small smirk. "Besides, I have money to spare. Might as well give it to people who need it."

Vanessa is one of the kindest, most generous people I know. Growing up in a household with a lawyer for a father and a doctor for a mother, she never knew the struggles people like me faced. That doesn't mean she's not aware though. V is always willing to help those in need financially as long as they earn it. Unfortunately, it wasn't always that way.

Before, she was a little too eager to help out everyone. Her "friends"—at the time—realized that and took advantage of her. Thankfully, Luke put a stop to it. "Ness, I understand that you want to help everyone but that's not possible. Those 'friends' you have? Are just using you. Who needs $1,000 every day to waste on useless things like mani-pedis? You've got to get your shit together little sis or they'll leave you hanging dry."

Vanessa told me she didn't speak to Luke for months after that. Eventually, though, she realized he was right.

"I know. I just don't like you wasting money on me." We make our way over to the restrooms. "You paying for this trip is more than enough."

V waves it off.  "Don't worry, Mad, I know how to use my money more wisely this time around. In fact, if I've learned anything from past mistakes it's that."

We enter the ladies' room and after a few minutes of figuring out how to shove a tampon up my vagina, we're set to go.

"Who are you texting?" I grab a paper towel to dry my hands.

"My idiot brother. Told him we've just landed." she grins devilishly. "He's pissed."

We leave the restroom and start walking towards the airport exit.

"That's what he gets for ditching you last time," I say, remembering what she told me about the time she flew out to visit their parents and how he forgot, leaving her waiting by herself for hours.

"Damn straight." She agrees.

We're nearing the exit when I hear a voice to my left, "Where the hell have you been?!"

Luke. I immediately recognize his voice.

"Hey big brother, miss me?"

But it's not Luke that catches my attention, it's the man that comes to stand beside him that does.

My eyes widen slightly at the sight of him. God, he's huge. About the same height as Luke, a bit taller. 6'3 maybe?

And is it just my tired eyes or is his hair black? I mean actual black. I've never seen hair so dark before. Dark as night.