Chapter 22 - Madison

"You look beautiful tonight." My boss says from across me, eyeing my body-hugging dress.

"Thank you." I take in the dimly lit restaurant, ignoring his gaze on me. This is a freakin' luxurious place. Chandeliers hang tall, waiters and waitresses are dressed in black tie, it could honestly rival the nightclub Luke's birthday bash was held at. My eyes settle on one of the private chefs cooking at one of the tables for their guests. The couple watching him cook honestly look filthy rich. Judging by the bored appearance on their face, they've been here plenty of times.

A bit of anger arises. That's something I don't like about these places. Everyone is so used to getting everything with a snap of their fingers that they don't appreciate the small things anymore. If it were up to me, I would've never picked to come here. I'm sure Maxon would've picked something different—

No. Stop that train of thought right there.

I pick up my menu, hoping to distract myself from my thoughts straying back to that man. Ever since Trinity planted that seed in my head that he might—and that's a huge might— come looking for me, I can't seem to stop thinking about him.

I scan the menu and my brows come together. What the hell is this? I don't even know what any of these dishes mean. Crap. They do sound expensive though. Wait. Where are the prices? A menu with no prices? I've never seen anything like this.

As if reading my mind Jake says. "Don't worry about the cost. My friend owns this restaurant so you can say it's free."

I peek at him over the menu and he gives me a wink, flashing me a grin most would consider dashing.

I go back to staring at the menu. So he's not even paying? What an asshole. He probably brings all his dates here.

Maxon would've paid. I recall the week we were in New York, he fulfilled Vanessa's dream of trying different restaurants every day. And he paid for all of that no matter how uncomfortable I was. Now, I'm comparing Jake to Maxon. Damnit!

"What are you getting beautiful?"

Beautiful. Jesus, everything reminds me of him! I take in a deep breath and slowly let it out. Focus. Focus on Jake. My stomach sours at doing just that.

I skim through all the recipes. Since I don't know what the names of any of these dishes mean I settle for answering, "Not sure yet."

My boss pushes the menu down so he can look at me while he's talking.

"Get anything you want. It's on the house." He offers me a small grin and I give him a tight-lipped one in return. My phone buzzes in my purse but as I go to check it the waiter arrives.

"Hello, welcome to Seaview. What can I get for both of you today?" The guy appears to be in his mid-twenties and gives me a warm grin as he takes my order. I honestly have no idea what I ordered but when it comes to seafood I'll eat almost anything. So I'm not too worried.

"I'll have what the lady is having." The waiter nods and states he'll be back with our order shortly.

I feel my boss's penetrating gaze lingering on me. Unlike Maxon's intense stare, his makes me plain uncomfortable. I reach for my glass of water and take a big gulp, wishing I had ordered a glass of wine instead.

"There is no need to be nervous, Madison."

I set my glass down and then reluctantly meet his gaze with my own. I just want to get this over with. "I was actually surprised when you agreed to go out with me. You're usually pretty adamant about how a boss and employee shouldn't date."

Is he serious right now? I'm only keeping up Vanessa's side of the bargain.

His grin widens. "But I'm glad you gave me a chance. Who knows? Maybe we can become something more."