Chapter 28 - Maxon

I drive us back to the hotel. The place I will be staying at for the next few days. I peek over at Madison who hasn't uttered a single word the entire ride. My heart aches. I hate that she's upset. Fuck, I'm upset. When I heard that girl speak to her like that...as if she were below her...it had me seeing fucking red. No one speaks to my girl like that. No one.

I slow down at a stoplight and reach out to grab Madison's hand. I squeeze it gently, letting her know I'm sorry.

"Why?" She glances over at me with a slight frown on her face. "It's part of your job, Maxon. You don't have the fault for anything."

"I do. If it weren't for me, they would've never even approached us." I shake my head. "Our date was ruined because of me."

Her eyes round, "Our date? I thought—"

"Every time we go out Madison, I consider it a date. Don't you?"

"I thought—" She seems at a loss for words. "Wasn't I supposed to dress nicely for that sort of thing?"

I chuckle. "You can if you like. But this day will always be considered our first date in my opinion."

She frowns and it looks adorable on her. "Well, that memory should leave a great impression on you for a while."

"I promise you, Madison." I lift her hand and drop a kiss on it. "As long as we're together, that won't happen again."

She looks unsure as she says okay but I will prove it to her. When she and I are together, no one will get in our way. It's already happened twice I'm not willing to risk the third and that's final.

The light turns green and I drive until we arrive at the underground parking. I pull up and exit the car, rounding it so I can open the door for my beautiful girl where she shyly says thank you.

I take her hand as we walk over to the lift to carry us to my suite. When the elevators finally open Madison gasps.

"Maxon," She takes a step into the living room. "this is where you're staying?" She looks around in awe and all I can do is stare at her.

"You like it?" I insert my hands into my pockets and watch her as she takes in the room.

She nods. "It's very beautiful here."

My gaze follows her as walks up to the floor-to-ceiling windows which showcase a spectacular view of the pacific ocean. "The ocean." She breathes, resting her hand lightly against the window. "You see it perfectly from here." She turns to face me. "How did you even manage to—oh, right."

The excitement dims from her eyes.
"What is it?" I take a step forward. "Does it bother you that I'm a professional athlete, beautiful?"

She bites her lip and I stride toward her until I'm cupping her face in my hands. "Tell me." I gently urge her to confide in me.

She meets my eyes and lets out a soft sigh. "No. It doesn't bother me.

My brows furrow, "Then what is it?" I pause then, "Does this have anything to do with what happened earlier?"

She hesitates but then answers. "Yes."

I lead her to the beautiful plush cream-colored sofa and sit down. I gesture for her to sit on my lap but she refuses. I concede with a sigh as she takes a seat next to me.

"What happened?" I want to understand why she's been a bit out of it today. She didn't remember agreeing to going out with me today and I want to know what caused her to be this way. I want her to talk to me and trust me. She can tell me anything and I'll listen.