Chapter 17 - Madison

Maxon and I spend the rest of the afternoon talking. He tells me more about himself and his love of football. About how worried he was that he wouldn't get drafted and how his mom encouraged him to persevere and not give up hope. I told him that I still didn't have a career. That I was working in a little bistro and attending college full-time. He listened, only cutting in to ask what I would like to get a career in. I was trying to avoid being asked that question because I honestly get embarrassed at my answer. My career isn't a doctor or a lawyer and when asked, people usually dismiss what I say. He waits patiently for me to answer. I look away and tell him I want a career in hospitality. Specifically event management. I peek at him and find him with a confused expression.

"Never mind." I dismiss the topic.     

"No." He turns my head to face him.

"Tell me." He says, sincerity bright in his eyes. "I'm assuming it has something to do with managing events, correct?"

"Well, yeah." I nod my head. "You basically help coordinate parties, galas, charities, concerts, sports events, anything you can think of really."

"That's amazing. I can see by the way your face lights up that that's what you love."

I drag my eyes away from his tender gaze and settle on the space between us. We're sitting side by side on the bed, our backs resting against the headboard.

"Hey," His soft voice brings my attention back to him. "don't listen to other people's opinions. Do what makes you happy, they aren't going to be the ones living your life."

I look into his gorgeous green eyes which he told me is the only thing he inherited from his mother. "Your mom taught you that?"

He nods. "People always thought I was crazy for setting my sights on the NFL. Thought I wasn't fit for it. Said I was "too quiet.'"

I scowl. "What does that have to do with anything?"

He shrugs. "They saw what they saw. I also wasn't particularly talkative but I was game for anything. Sports were and are my life." He pauses for a moment. "I'm hoping you'll stick around long enough to be in it."

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks and try to hide it but he reaches out to hold me, pulling me onto his side.

I hope I can stick around long enough as well.

After talking a bit more about our families and upbringing, he suggests if I want to watch t.v.
I tell him I'm not really in the mood and that he can watch it on his own. He insists I watch it with him because we have to 'bond as friends.' I can tell that word bothers him but I'm grateful that he's willing to take that step with me. Eventually, he comes to a stop. Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift is playing.

"This alright?" He asks me. "or do you want a chick flick? Romantic comedy? I don't mind."

I snort. "Heck no! This is fine."

He shoots me a half-grin. "Not into that sort of thing?"

"Definitely not."

"A girl after my own heart." He smirks bringing a hand to his tone chest as he fixes the volume.

I bite my lip, the blush that seems to be permanently on my face around him returns.

He gives me a full-blown grin then but thankfully makes no further comment. We settle in to watch the movie and I warn him I might fall asleep before the movie ends. I don't know why but I can never finish a movie and as if to prove my point, an hour into the film, I feel my eyes starting to close shut.

I'm not sure what time I wake up but the television is turned off and the bright lights from the buildings surrounding us filter into the dark room. I reach for my phone to check on the time but an arm tightens around me.