Chapter 37 - Madison

"I was so scared. I thought he wasn't going to let me leave so I quickly got up and left." I take in a shaky breath, my hands trembling as I grip the bolillo my mom automatically handed me the minute I arrived. "I quit though. There's no going back for me and to be honest, I feel bad for him." Maxon is laying next to me, pulling me closer to him he drops a kiss onto the side of my head. He hasn't let me go once since we got to my house. "Jake needs help, Maxon." I peek up at him and find him looking contemplative. "He lost the way he lived his life with one hit." I grip his hand and give it a squeeze. "I didn't know he even played football back in college. I guess—I don't know. None of us ever suspected anything. But now that I think back, there were signs his mind wasn't necessarily...stable."

"What do you mean?" He tucks me into his side, holding my hand and caressing it.

"He just—couldn't take no as an answer. He—" I sigh. "He said he was in love with me." Maxon stiffens next to me, stopping his ministrations on my hand. "I think he was confused. I mean, he himself said he only hired me for my looks. I don't think he ever looked past that."

Maxon remains quiet, listening as I go on. "He was using that as an excuse though. I really thought—I was half expecting for him to hit me or attack me. He had this crazed look in his eyes—" My body shudders as I recall those last words. How Maxon can get injured. I don't think much about Maxon's career and I know it's risky but I can't even imagine anything happening to him. I hold on to him a little tighter. "He said that would happen to you too," I whisper as a tear falls from the corner of my eye. Maxon turns to face me, cupping my cheeks tenderly as he leans in.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, beautiful. That I didn't arrive on time but you have to know it wasn't the hit that caused that. Sure it may have triggered it but I've seen it happen to a couple of guys—though rare—but Madison, with proper care that can be avoided. I can assure you, it wasn't Jake's concussion to the head that caused that. It was his pride. His pride has become his ruin and he has to live with that."

I bite my lip, worry eating at me knowing that could potentially happen to Maxon. "Don't cry, sweetheart." He pulls me until I'm sitting between his legs, wrapping his arms around me from behind. "You don't have to worry about that happening to me. He was just trying to scare you in an attempt to separate you from me." I trace his arm, taking in his corded muscle.

"Has that ever happened to you? Injuries?"

I peek up at him and he brushes my hair back lightly. "It's inevitable, sweetheart, but thankfully I haven't gotten anything serious. I thank God every day for that. He's allowing me to do what I love."

I move my head back down, staring at how his hands are so much bigger than mine. I lift it to drop a kiss onto his palm and he cups my chin, turning me to face him again. "As long as we're together Madison, I won't allow any injury to keep us apart. You are my strength. My love. And my heart." He drops a soft, tender kiss onto my lips and has just sneaked his tongue past my lips when Trinity comes to a stop at the door to my bedroom.

"Uh, I just came to tell you that mom made some caldo de pollo." Chicken soup. "In case you guys wanted some."

I glance at her, my cheeks heating up as she gives me a knowing look. Maxon rests his chin atop my head as he stares at her. "Thank you, T. We'll be there."

She stands there for a couple of seconds then shakes her head muttering something as she walks away.

"You want to go eat?"

I shake my head.

"Baby, you have to. You haven't eaten all day except the sandwich I made you at noon. And even then, you didn't finish it."

I bite my lip before slowly getting up. "Okay. I'll try but no promises that I'll finish it."

He grins. "Sounds good enough."