Chapter 31 - Madison

"Madi! He's here!" Leah yells from the other side of the door.
"Okay, coming!" I shout back.

I glance at the clock, he arrived fifteen minutes early. Thankfully, I'm ready. I just need to apply some chapstick to my lips and put on my teardrop earrings. I hear his deep rumble coming from the kitchen as he speaks to my mom and siblings.

My heart flutters and begins to pick up with both excitement and nerves.

God, I can't believe this is actually happening. Not three weeks ago I was cursing all men.

I blow out a breath, taking one last glimpse at myself in the mirror, and decide I look good enough.

Before I chicken out and decide last minute I will hide in this room for the rest of my days, I take a steadying breath and open the door.

I hear the sounds of my sandals clicking against the wooden floors as I walk into the living room. He must know it's me because the moment I step foot into the room it turns deadly silent you can hear a pin drop.

As Maxon catches sight of me his eyes round slightly and his mouth as well. My heart rate picks up as he takes in the dress Vanessa picked for me. It's a gorgeous floral white off-the-shoulder, maxi-length dress with a slit up one thigh. I wasn't too happy about that but from Maxon's dark gaze I can see Vanessa was right. He loves it. To finish off the look, I bought some low tan colored wedges with simple leather straps.

I use that time to take him in as well. And boy, do I know what it now means to feel heat pooling in your core.

He's dressed similar to when we attended Luke's bash but instead of a light blue button-down this time it's replaced by white. Matching my dress. His muscles bulge from beneath the shirt and I seriously cannot believe this is the man taking me out.

"Madi! Te ves hermosa!" You look beautiful, my mom says as she takes me in.

"Gracias." I shyly take a step forward, not used to this much attention from my family. They are so used to seeing me dressed down, I can only imagine what they're thinking right now.

"Damn," I glance at Leah who's standing behind Maxon with both of her thumbs up. I give her a timid smile as I step up to Maxon who seems to be stunned speechless.
"Hi." I breathe out, trying to calm my frantic nerves, all that deep breathing having no effect whatsoever whenever I'm in his presence.

"Madison, you look stunning." He tells me in a soft voice reaching down to grab my hand and dropping a kiss on it.

"Thank you, you're early," I tell him and feel my mom watching us closely.

"I couldn't wait to see you." He grins down at me and that's when I notice the bouquet of white roses in his hand. He hands them to me with a shy smile. "These are for you."

Emotion fills my chest, no one's ever gifted me flowers before. "Thank you," I tell him, smelling them lightly. They're gorgeous. It must have cost him a small fortune.

He nods before flashing that same perfect smile at my mom who looks like she wants to melt at the sight of it directed at her.

"Your family was keeping me company in the meantime. She also took the time to invite me to your birthday next month."

"Uh, yeah," I say, feeling slightly embarrassed. "It's still a couple of weeks though. I'm sure you will be back in New York or Boston by then."

He turns his gaze back to me and his emeralds glow with amusement. "I will be here. I'm not going anywhere. I actually managed to rent a home for the next month."

My brows raise to the ceiling. "You did?"

"Yup. I'm already settled in. In case you guys want to come by one day to see it." He tells my family. "It's right by the beach."