Chapter 7 - Maxon

I'm in the kitchen making myself a sandwich. Since the girls are out shopping and there are hours left until Luke's birthday bash, I decided to kill some time by working out. The grueling and rigorous activity always leaves me starving afterward.

After I finish prepping my cold meal, I sit at the island and take a huge bite of my sandwich, recalling the look on Madison's face as Vanessa dragged her out of the room.

She looked like she would rather be doing anything else than go shopping which is interesting considering most girls love shopping. Yet again, I'm starting to get the feeling she isn't like most girls.

The second Vanessa asked me to retrieve her freshly cleaned clothes, she thanked me but insisted I never do that again.

I didn't mind helping out, I've always been hospitable but I could see by the look on her face she was embarrassed. Not that she should be ashamed of what happened. Accidents occur all the time and her cycle is normal. It's nothing I can't handle.

I take another bite, contemplating.

Does she know who I am?

I mean, in the most humblest way possible, women are usually all over me, they would love me offering to help them, buying them simple products, and even washing their clothes. Hell, they would probably insist I keep them too.

I swallow then drink some water, lost in thought.

Yet Madison has refused my help, offered to pay me back the money I used—because I was the one who purchased her products—despite Vanessa's words, and it appears she wants to be anywhere other than around me.

I normally wouldn't mind but it's just my luck the one woman I find intriguing won't even give me the time of day.

"But what do you think about my best friend?" Luke's words from earlier can't help but replay in my head. "He's single and—"

I cut him off before he could get another embarrassing word out of his mouth. I don't need Luke vouching for me, I'm old enough to ask a girl what I want to know but not so suddenly.

Madison looked taken aback by Luke's bluntness, heck, I was too. We just met and judging by her reaction, she was uncomfortable and appeared ready to run.

Her phone had rung then but I've got to admit I wish it hadn't. I kind of wanted to hear what she thought about me.

I sigh, finished with my sandwich, and have just washed and placed my dish on the dish rack when the door slams shut, alerting me to Luke's presence.

"Hey," I greet him as he tosses his keys somewhere on the island, "Where have you been, man?"

Luke shoots me a wide grin, mischief written all over his face, "Shopping."
"For..." I glance at my phone. "two hours? What could you possibly be looking for for that long?"

He lifts a shoulder as he places a bag on the counter and pulls out a box. "I couldn't find what I was looking for."

He opens it and reveals, "Condoms," I state blandly. "you have plenty of those already."

"No, bro! Not these kind! Guess what?"

I cross my arms and give him an expectant look, waiting for him to explain why he took so long to purchase something you can order from Amazon or the local drug store.

"These are chocolate flavored! You know how hard these are to find around here!"

I raise a brow. "Why couldn't you just order them online?" I ask, still not knowing why he didn't purchase them through there.