Chapter 11 - Maxon

I'm casually leaning against the wall waiting for Vanessa and Madison to emerge from the restrooms.
The minute Madison received that call from Vanessa I knew something was wrong. That wrong being Derek Hunt. I warned Luke it would be a bad idea to invite him to the bash but he insisted. He's always been like the little brother he never had.

When he and his sister broke up, Luke was pretty upset to hear what had happened between them. Of course, Luke supported his sister one hundred percent but he couldn't believe Derek was capable of something like that. I do remember seeing Vanessa and him together. They were completely smitten with each other. At the time, I was just starting to date my ex but I knew I wanted what they had one day.

I don't know the details or what led to the breakup but I do know that Luke insisted Vanessa listen, to give him a chance to explain. That that's the least she owed him.

I have a feeling that's what he's trying to do now. Except it looks like it's backfiring. I know if Luke were to set up a place for me to meet my ex—which he would never do considering he hated her from the beginning—I would also be an emotional wreck. Thankfully though, that's in the past. Now, my focus is centered on one person. And that's Madison.

Anger flares in my chest again as I recall Isaiah's lips on hers. He's lucky he's a good friend or else I would have thrown him into next week. Fuck that, next year. As long as I'm here, no other man will be laying a finger on her.

I recall Madison's words. You don't need to protect me, Maxon. You don't need to feel obligated to do any of this just because Vanessa is my friend.

That's not what I'm doing, Madison. I had replied.

No? What are you doing then?

I shut my eyes tight, swallowing. Fuck, she's right. I have no idea what I'm doing. All I was thinking at that moment was to get her away from Isaiah. For her to stop smiling at him and look at me. For her to spend time with me and for him to get his hands off her. That's what I was doing. I was feeling possessive even though I know she isn't mine. Fuck. I almost let it slip. I almost told her the real reason why I did those things and how she had mistaken my protectiveness. This has nothing to do with Vanessa. Well, maybe a little because she brought her to me but other than that, nothing. This side; the protective, possessive side only she brings out in me. No one else.

The door swings open and I straighten. Nerves and anticipation settle in my body at the thought of laying eyes and speaking to her again. Except it's not her that walks out, it's the two blondes that were eye fucking me earlier. They stride purposefully toward me and I already know what they're going to ask.

I brace myself, hoping Madison doesn't walk out and get the wrong idea when she sees me with these two.

"Hey handsome," the shorter of the two blondes says. "what are you doing here all by yourself?"

I wanted to say "none of your business" but instead, settle for, "waiting for someone."

Hopefully, they get the idea that I'm taken. At least, emotionally I am.

The taller blonde with the fake tits rests a hand on my bicep and I tense. "Do you mind a little company?"

I glance down at her hand on me. "Ladies—"

The shorter blonde senses the rejection and quickly intercepts, coming to stand in front of me.

"Come on, Maxon." She runs her hands up my abdomen toward my chest, down and back up again, repeating the movement. "Sum and I are just looking for a good time." Her hands start to slip under my dress shirt and I quickly get ahold of them, stopping her exploration.