Chapter 13 - Maxon

Sweat drips down my forehead as I come to a stop on the treadmill. The moment I left Madison's room I changed and drove over to the gym. I couldn't stand being in her sweet presence any longer. Taking care of her all night really made me realize just how quickly I've fallen for her. Shit. And from the looks of it, she doesn't feel the same way. Double shit.

I walk over to the bench press, Isaiah coming up next to me.

"Looked pretty rough out there." He grins at me and I grunt.

"Not rough enough."

He smirks and I roll my eyes. "Not that idiot."

"I see you taking Madison away from me didn't lead to any good goods."

"Shut up, man, you know she wasn't well."

I settle in, setting my water down next to me.

Isaiah lifts the weight then hands it to me, placing it on both my hands.

I bring it down to my chest preparing to lift. I grip the weight firmly—knowing there have been incidents where it's dropped onto men's chests—and push up, exhaling as I do so.

I bring it down and repeat the motion. Isaiah counts reps and after the twentieth one, he asks, "How is she doing? Better I hope since you wouldn't leave her side last night."

I glance briefly at him and push the weight up again. "She is. It was a tough night but she's better. I wouldn't leave her otherwise."

"Of course." He grins, counting a couple more times. "You have feelings for her. At the very least there's something going on there. Why else would you stay up with a girl who was throwing up all night?"

I growl, lifting the weight again. "Don't talk about her like that."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him lift his hands in surrender. "See what I mean? No offense man, but I haven't seen you be serious about a girl since—well, in a while."

My muscles bulge as I continue to lift. I know I haven't had the best track record the past couple of years but seriously? Does everyone think me capable of fucking around? Does Madison? Fuck.

I recall earlier this morning. Madison had just dozed off to sleep after her body hurled all the alcoholic contents. Vanessa was standing watch when I told her to get some rest. She looked like she was about to tip over but she hadn't wanted to leave Madison alone. I assured her that I would stay by her side and would inform her immediately if something changed. After hesitating for a bit she left, leaving me alone with a peaceful Madison. I stayed up, making sure she was okay. Just as I started to doze off I heard her mumbling.

I softly shook her, not sure if she was awake or not when she murmured five words that made me freeze.

"Those blondes...why Maxon? Why?"

I couldn't sleep after that. Contemplating what she meant. I kept thinking of the party. What led to her behaving that way? Could it actually be that she got the wrong idea? But why? I thought I was being obvious that I wanted her. Or at the very least, that I felt some genuine attraction towards her.

I bare my teeth, muscles straining at the memory.

Isaiah counts two more reps before he helps set the bar back in place.

I sit up taking a huge swig of cool water. Isaiah comes to stand beside me. "You're not benching?" I ask, out of breath, dripping in sweat.

"Nah, that run is enough for today. Drank too much last night." I nod. We sit there in silence for a while. I look around the gym thankful there's no one within hearing distance. Yet again, it is early so there are not many people. I take another drink of water knowing Isaiah is waiting for me to say something about Madison but I also know he won't push. One of the things I like most about him.