Chapter 32 - Madison

"Leave your shoes, sweetheart," Maxon tells me as we park near the beach.

I do as he says except it's a struggle to bend over to remove them since I feel stuffed with lasagna. Add those delicious cannoli and bread and I'm done for. The food was delicious though and the service was amazing so I don't regret it. The restaurant had a warm, family ambiance and I imagine that's how one would feel if you dined in Italy. I definitely want to go back and Maxon said he will make sure it happens.

"Here, let me help." He volunteers at my struggle.

I can't help but blush. "Is it that obvious I'm full?" I look at his tight-fitting button down and it's as if he ate nothing. He's as built as ever. Lucky man.

He shakes his head. "You look gorgeous, Madison."

I lift my leg and he unstraps them, dropping a kiss unto the top of my foot that sends heat shooting up my body. "And maybe this is my excuse to touch you a bit more."

My heart picks up its pace as Maxon's soft, full lips make contact with my other foot. He looks up at me, a twinkle in his eye.

My breath hitches and his eyes land on them. His gaze darkens but says. "Let's go, beautiful."

We exit the car and he leads me down the walkway until cement gives way to nice, soft sand. My feet automatically melt at the feel of the now cool finely defined pieces of rock. The sun has already set, leaving a bright dark sky. 

I suck in a breath which Maxon mistakes for, "Are you cold?"

"No, it's just so beautiful." I glance up at the clear sky, full of bright stars. "I've never seen a sunset or the beach at night."

His brows raise. "Really?"

"I've never had the time to just come and hang out." I let out a contented sigh and glance up at him. "Thank you."

His gaze softens. "For what?"

"For being so good to me."

He shakes his head, a grin on his handsome face. "You don't even know what I brought you here for."

My eyes round. "It's not to view the beach?"

He chuckles. "It is but," He entwines his fingers through mine. "come, let's walk."

We do. I know it's so cliché but we walk down the beach. And although the ocean is very dark, only illuminated by the moonlight, it's beautiful. In a terrifying way.

Maxon tugs on my hand lightly and I glance up to see him looking down at me with a grin.

My cheeks warm up though I know he can't see them. "What?"

"Nothing, you just look beautiful in the moonlight."

My face heats up even more. Thankfully the wind playing with my hair helps to keep me from overheating with self-consciousness. "You always say that," I tell him.

"It's the truth." He plants a kiss on the side of my head. Even though it's crisp out, that kiss warms me up from the inside out. "So get used to it." 

We continue our walk down the beach, the refreshing breeze messing with our hair, when Maxon slows down to cup my face between his big hands, "Madison," He starts, and even if I tried, I can't look away from his dark emeralds. 

"I know I've said it time and again but you have made me the happiest man in the world. This life with me..." Light from the restaurants lining up the path filters out enough to make out that Maxon is shaking his head from side to side. "it won't be easy. The fans...I wasn't lying when I said that I keep my private life private. But I'm not planning on hiding my relationship with you. Come football season, fans tend to...get a bit more interested." My heart starts racing at what he's trying to tell me. My private life will no longer remain so private. People will get curious. Maxon tells me as much. "The fans will get curious and..." He sighs. "I don't want to scare you but being with me requires some sacrifice." He gives me a sheepish grin. "I'm sorry but I just want to give you an idea of what's to come. I don't plan on leaving you. That's not an option for me but like I said, if you don't want any part of this, I'll quit. No questions asked."