Chapter 12 - Madison

"Mad, we always walk by that psychic reader."

"What about it?" I ask Vanessa, not particularly caring one way or another.

We're walking back to our cars after a long shift at the bistro. I'm tired. The last thing I want to do is go to a psychic. Besides, it's pointless. Everything that comes out of their mouths is crap. Just lies.

"I don't know. I just...what if I told you I was a little curious to know about our future?"

We come to a halt right outside the shop.

"Our future? I don't want to know what's in my future."

Really, I don't. What am I even going to ask? My career? Love life? I'm doing just fine thank you very much.

"Please, Mad?" Vanessa begs, bringing her hands together as if she's going to pray. "I don't want to go in there by myself."

I stare at her unfazed.

"Come on, Madi. I promise I'll buy you a whole platter of sushi if you come in with me."

I absolutely love sushi but nothing in the world would make me enter in there.

"Sounds promising but nope."

"Chocolate chip cookies?"

"No."

"Money?"

I shake my head. "Nope, V. You won't convince me with anything."

"Ugh." She grumbles. "Why do you have to be so stubborn? Fine." She stomps to the door. "Stay out here."

Then she disappears inside.

I wait outside. Five minutes. Then fifteen. Twenty minutes later Vanessa comes out. I expected her to come out looking gleeful instead, shock mars her features.

"How'd it go?" I ask.

"They're asking for you." She says almost as a second thought.

"Who?" I frown in confusion.

What is she talking about?

"The psychic."

I'm floored. "Why? How does she know I'm out here?"

I stayed out of sight the whole time.

"I don't know, she just told me to bring you in. Come on."

I watch as Vanessa turns back to head inside but I'm rooted in place, fear and shock keeping me grounded.

"Madi," Vanessa glances at me once she realizes I'm not following. "please, she's waiting."

"I'm not going in there."

"Mad, she asked—"

"Madison?" A woman who appears to be in her mid-forties steps out of the shop.

"Yes?"

"Please, come in. Don't be afraid. My daughter has something she needs to tell you."

I hesitate for a few seconds then follow after the older woman. I glare at Vanessa as I walk past her and all she does is smile in return.

I look around the shop as I hear the door thud closed after Vanessa. I expected weird ass shit like a crystal ball or a crazy lady sitting in the corner talking nonsense but no, there's just a regular waiting room with a couple of chairs and a short hall that leads to three doors. And the lady doesn't look crazy. As far as I can tell.