Chapter 16 - Madison

Maxon stares back at me, incredulity written all over his face. I know he didn't expect me to say that but it's the most truthful thing I've told him today.

When Maxon, Vanessa, and Luke left, I immediately called my sister, Trinity. They had been wondering how I had been doing and wanted to know how the trip has been so far. I couldn't hold back all the events that had happened to me the previous days so I told her everything. From going shopping with Vanessa to the clothes I bought, the place Luke's birthday bash was held at, and what went down the night of his party. She wasn't too happy to hear about my drunk splurge and I made her promise not to tell mom. She agreed on one condition: to never do that again and I completely agreed. Never was I doing that again. Somehow, that ended up with me spilling the tea about Maxon. I tell her all about our interactions and don't want to come off as though I like him but she somehow senses that I do. I, of course, deny it. I was just admitting to her that Vanessa and I were now staying at a hotel because of said person when the doorbell rang. I had thought it was room service or one of the employees coming to check on something. To say I was surprised to see Maxon is an understatement.

I never expected him to turn up at my hotel door and I didn't know what to do. What was he even doing here? I thought he was hanging out with Vanessa and Luke. Then it dawned on me that he was probably here to try to seduce me and get me to sleep with him. Oh hell no, that charm wasn't going to work on me. So I decided to act indifferent and cold toward him. Hoping he took that as a hint to leave. But he didn't.

I tried. I tried telling him to go away. I tried hurting him. I tried pushing him away by saying anything I could think of, yet, he just...didn't give up. That scared me. I've never been in a situation like this before. I usually tell men to leave and they do. No questions or fighting back. But Maxon? Jesus. I don't know what to do. He threw a curveball at me. A huge one. A part of me doesn't believe that he likes me but a deeper part does. And that scares me even more.

I scan the room, waiting for Maxon to say something. He hasn't spoken and I'm beginning to feel uneasy. I'm not sure what he's going to think now. How he's going to react internally. Is he going to leave? Just give up and go? Maybe realize that I'm not worth it? My eyes lock onto a vase full of bright flowers on the bedside table between both the beds Vanessa and I are sharing. They are such a contrast to the sadness and fear I feel inside.
I've never been so raw with anyone who isn't my family and my mind is beginning to spin out of control when I feel a warm palm on my face.

Maxon cups my cheeks and makes me meet him head-on. There is such a determination in him it reminds me of fire. And I know whatever he says next will lick at me until it consumes me.

"Madison, I need you to listen to me loud and clear." I suppress a shiver as I gaze into his pretty emeralds, "Whatever it is you're afraid of?" He goes on, "Don't be. I won't hurt you. I will never hurt you." He moves and when I see him get on his knees I gasp. "Maxon—? What are—"

"I promise you, Madison Rosales. I will never ever hurt you." He grabs my hand and grips it between both of his. His eyes latch onto mine. "With me, you have nothing to be afraid of. Nor will you ever have anything to fear from me."

My eyes soften at the sincerity in his eyes. Dear Lord, this man...

"Maxon, get up," I say, feeling slightly uncomfortable with all these emotions circling the room.

"Not until you let me prove to you that I like you. Give me a chance, Madison. I promise you won't regret it."

I bite my lip, his eyes piercing into mine. Pleading for me to say yes. I don't know what to do. He keeps on surprising me every time and it's only been forty-eight hours since we've met.