Chapter 24 - Madison

Jake stares at him with what seems to be a mixture of awe and surprise before morphing into one of hatred. That snaps me out of my own stupor.

"Jake I—"

"So it was you." He hisses out and I've never heard him sound so venomous before. "Maxon. Maxon Blake."

He lets out a harsh laugh cupping his jaw which is starting to show signs of a bruise forming. "I should've known."

He turns hate-filled eyes toward me and I take a step back, feeling Maxon's warmth emanating behind me.
"Of course, you would hit on my girlfriend right?"

I catch sight of Vanessa's shocked face and I imagine I look the same way. What is he saying?

"What did you just say?" I ask my boss but the question goes unanswered.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Maxon seethes. "I wasn't aware that she was taken. She never once mentioned you so I assumed she was single."

I peek over at Maxon behind me and expect to find him shooting daggers at me but instead, he's giving Jake a hard look I know I would hate to be on the receiving end of.

Jake takes a step toward us, hands fisted at his sides. Vanessa runs past him and holds onto my arm.

"Let's go inside, Madison."

I shake my head no.

Maxon nudges me aside. "Listen to Vanessa, Madison."

"You assumed wrong, Blake. Madison is very much taken. Right, babe?" He turns cold eyes toward me. "We just went on a date last night. Vanessa could back me up but oh wait?" He looks back at Maxon. "You already knew that. The pictures? Remember those?"

Maxon is still as a statue and I know Jake is poking at a very angry bear. I have no idea what they're talking about but first things first. I have to diffuse this situation ASAP.

"Jake stop it." I stand in front of Maxon, resting my hands on his chest. "Maxon," I whisper to him. "Don't listen to him it's not what it seems to be."

I glance at Vanessa to back me up and she nods. "Madison's right. It was all—"

"We had a great time last night." Jake cuts in, continuing to taunt him. "After I sent you those pics we fuc—"

Maxon moves faster than I can comprehend and is in Jake's face in no time.

"I dare you to finish that fucking sentence."

My heart is speeding up so fast. I feel like we're on a train no one can stop. Only a force of God can at this point.

"Maxon..." I hurry up to them but Vanessa pulls me back. "Madi, no."

I try pulling free but no matter how petite V is, she's strong. "Vanessa we need to—"

Jake smirks, looking utterly unafraid. I feel so bad for him because he's being so stupid right now. "We fucked."

All blood seems to drain from my face as I expect Maxon to throw down on him right away but he stands unnaturally still and I know he's holding on by the last thread. "Really? Because if you did. You wouldn't be begging for her to give you a chance." Now it's his turn to smirk and it is one of the most cruelest ones I've seen from him to date.

A throb starts in Jake's temple and I realize, it's only a matter of time.

"Vanessa go inside. Get my mom, sister, anybody." I urge her.

"What about you?" Vanessa looks so pale and I know I look the same way. "I can't just leave you here, Madi. You can get hurt."

I hear Maxon say. "I bet she wasn't satisfied. Which is why you are left begging for her to—"