Chapter 18 - Maxon

Something's wrong. Throughout the week Madison's been acting distant with me. Keeping conversation to a minimum. When I ask her if she's okay she just nods and smiles then goes back to sightseeing. I don't know what I've done wrong. Again. We've visited the Art Museum, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, Empire State building...literally something new every day yet Madison is not as excited as I thought she would be. She actually seems a bit aloof. Almost as if she's trying to enjoy her time here but not quite.

I stare at her from the opposite side of the table. Luke to my right and Vanessa across from him. We came to grab pizza before heading out to explore the city one last time. My stomach drops at the inevitable. I can't believe she's leaving tomorrow. My whole world has changed in a matter of a week and it has everything to do with the girl sitting across from me. I don't want her to go but I can see she's getting anxious to leave so that means I have to make this last day count.

"Are you guys ready to go?" I ask, eyes still on Madison.

"Yes!" Vanessa gets up, grabbing her purse and sunglasses. "You guys have been so mysterious about where we're going today and I can't wait any longer! What surprise did you guys plan?"

"Not me." Luke jerks a thumb at me. "Him."

"Ready to go?" I quietly ask Madison.

She nods and gets up, throwing her paper plate in the trash bin. We all follow suit.

It kills me to see her so serious. The first few days she seemed to be enjoying herself but now she looks relatively unimpressed. As if nothing amazes her.

I hope to God that what I have planned for today does.

An hour later we arrive in front of a horse carriage.

"No way!" Vanessa gasps. "I've always wanted to ride one of these!"

I glance at Madison and find her eyes wide and mouth hanging slightly open.

I feel a sense of pride for putting that look on her face—one of the biggest reactions I've seen since she first got here.

An older man approaches us with a friendly grin. "Hello, Mr. Blake. Mr. Carter." He shakes our hands. "Ladies." He takes his hat off and bows toward them.

"Ooohhh." Vanessa giggles. "What a gentleman."

"Your carriages have been arranged." He inclines his head toward both of the horse carriages. "You will get the VIP tour around Central Park. Your tour also includes two photo stops at Cherry Hill Fountain and at the Strawberry Fields. If you need anything don't hesitate to tell the driver. We are at your service. I hope you enjoy the ride."

"Thank you," I tell him as I spot Madison and Vanessa moving to get on one carriage. I quickly rush over and grab her arm.

"This way, lovely."

"But Vanessa and I—" She begins to reason but I counter with, "I'm not riding a horse carriage with Luke. Imagine how that will look?"

She chuckles at the thought and I grin as I lead her to the carriage and help her up.

"Thank you." She says shyly and I can't help but wink at her. "No problem, sweetheart."

I can't help it. Madison brings out a side of me I've suppressed for so long. It's actually refreshing to want to impress a girl you like.

"Dude, this is so embarrassing." I hear Luke's groan and I glance over to the carriage behind us and him trying to stop Vanessa from taking a selfie of them. "I wish Isaiah would've stayed longer so he could take my place. Bet he would've been more than happy to be doing this."