Chapter 30 - Madison

I've been a nervous wreck the last few days wondering what Maxon has up his sleeve. A surprise? What could it possibly be? Thankfully I've been kept busy to the point I don't really think about it but it's still in the back of my mind nagging at me. The fact that I also need to go shopping? Not helping.

Maxon said to dress nice and I don't have any pretty clothes besides the romper and sandals I wore to Luke's bash but anyway, today I so happen to be free and know for a fact Vanessa is too.

I call her and tell her if she would like to accompany me to the mall and to no one's surprise, she agrees immediately. I knew she would. Shopping is the best form of therapy for her. That and music is a close second.

"Hey, I'm so happy you called me!" She greets me as she gets into my car. "I was starting to wonder when that was going to be since you know, Maxon has been your world for the past week." She pokes me on the side and my cheeks heat up a bit.

"No, he hasn't." I deny it though I know he has taken up the majority of my thoughts lately.

"He has but whatever," She reaches over to hug me. "I will always be your best friend first. He just has to get in line."

I chuckle, maneuvering my way out of the university. Just as we start our journey, she turns on the radio on full blast. Reggaeton both old school and new pounds out of Apple CarPlay. After a few songs, Bad Bunny comes on and Vanessa screams. "I love this song!"

She starts singing his part to the best of her ability but I can't help it, I laugh hysterically. She continues though, pretending to unbuckle her seatbelt and raising her right arm, making a twirling motion.

"Oh my God!" I laugh, driving down the lane. We stop at a red light and the people in the car next to us staring at both of us.
"Hi!" Vanessa waves at the older couple from the passenger seat and they look at us with frightened faces.

The light turns to green then and I zoom past them.

Vanessa lets out a throaty laugh. "They probably think we're high as fuck."

I grin, feeling lighter than I have in a while. It feels good to be back with my best friend.

We finally arrive at the mall and Vanessa practically drags me to all her favorite stores.

"You know I can't afford any of these. Vanessa!" I yell as she prances away.

I shake my head and walk around the expensive store. There are many beautiful dresses but I honestly wouldn't wear any of these. Money aside, I just don't feel any that call to me.

I look around for Vanessa and find her arms piled with dresses.

My jaw drops.
"What the—"

"Hey, what about some of these? I found many I feel would suit your bod perfectly."

She proceeds to show me all of them.

They are all very provocative.

"I think those would suit you better," I tell her honestly. I like dressing causal, barely showing skin but when I do dress nice, I still don't want my ass or breasts to be on full display.

She pouts. "Madi, you look great in anything. You can't wear t-shirts and jeans all the time."

"I totally can." There are no such rules against that in the world.

"Maxon said otherwise. He said 'no pants' or am I mistaken?"

I whip around and find her with a devilish glint in her eyes. "You know I'm right. I wonder why he said that?"

She pretends to ponder it and my eyes narrow on her. "Do you know where he's taking me?"

"Honestly? No." She skims through the rack in front of her. "He just said he's taking you somewhere."

She glances at me over a dress she's holding up.
"Mmhmm. Here." She shoves a dress at me and I hold it up.

It's actually very pretty. I look it over.

"He's so into you, Madi." I shyly peek up at her and find her with a soft smile.

"It makes me so happy that you gave him a chance. You've been glowing ever since he came here looking for you."

I avoid the urge to touch my face, "I have?"

"Oh, totally." She grins. "You smile more too. There was always a sadness to you before you met him and they may have had to do with that Bryan douche but now," She pauses for a second. "you're healing. Maxon is too."

I bite down on my bottom lip and admit something I haven't told my siblings,
"He does make me very happy," I say sincerely. "I always look forward to speaking to him, hearing his voice." I let out a laugh. "God, I can't believe the things I'm saying.
The things I've come to."

Vanessa gives me a quick side hug. "It gets me emotional. Both of my friends together. You guys make a beautiful couple. I'm jealous."

I shake my head at her and grin. "What about you? No hot guy in your life?"

"Oh, there's never a shortage of those in my life." She says as she skims through the row of dresses in front of us, "So you know how I'm working on my final project?" She reminds me and I nod.

She goes on to tell me all about her cute partner and how, surprise surprise, it ended up being the same guy that came to the bar we work at. She's taking that as a good sign and is thinking about giving him a chance.

"You should," I tell her.

"I think I will. He does have a pretty big dick."
She fans herself as if remembering something.

"Uh," I'm taken aback by her sudden, unnecessary statement, "I do not want to know how you know that."

"Well..." she begins and I clap my hands over my ears. "No!" I shout loud enough a couple of ladies a few rows down stare at me. "I don't want to know."

She laughs out loud, unbothered by my reaction. "Alright," she singsongs, "but I expect to hear the details of when you and Maxon have sex."

My face turns beet red. "That's not going to be happening any time soon," I assure her.

"Oh yeah? Because I'm damn sure that dress I just gave you will do him in. Now," She guides me toward the dressing room. "Go and try it on! We still have to go buy some new shoes and get our mani and pedis done. You have to look perfect for tomorrow!"

Tomorrow.

Our first official, fancy date is tomorrow.

Talk about being on a whole other level of nerves.