Chapter 38 - Madison

A few days later...

I've fallen into a different routine ever since I quit Jake's Bar and Bistro. I go to school then study and when I'm not tutoring other students, I babysit. Vanessa had come to visit me the next day after her shift. Mara had ended up recounting the whole thing to her and she had been worried out of her mind. Hating herself for not being there for me. I had told her it was fine and that it wasn't her fault.
Because in all reality it wasn't.

I'm trying to leave it in the past is something I let her know and she vowed to not bring it up again. She also ended up pulling the rug from under me when she revealed she had turned in her own notice to Daniel—who had taken over for Jake. I had yelled at her for that but she said that she wasn't going to work somewhere I simply wasn't. She also reasoned that she was getting bored and that it was time to create new adventures—apparently, that applied to more than one thing.

She has not spoken of Derek once since we saw him back in New York but she thinks she's falling for her partner, Adam. They've been hanging out more and more and she thinks he might be it for her. I'm really happy for her and hope he does stick around because Vanessa has a heart of gold.

"You, Maxon, Adam, and I should go on a double date." She had said and I told her I would let her know. I had to run the idea past Maxon first. She grumbled but agreed, "Maxon won't mind. I'm sure of it." And that was the end of that conversation.

Now though, we have an outing of our own.

"Are you ready?" Leah asks as I finish smoothing down my body-hugging dress.

"Yup, just finished." I smile at her and she rewards me with a bright grin of her own.

Maxon mentioned on Sunday night that he wanted us to all go out for a late lunch today. He wants to get to know my family better since he's now officially my boyfriend. When he had announced that my mom hadn't been able to contain her excitement. She had hugged him, so over the moon.

My siblings were all happy with the news but Trinity was the one who was a bit more hesitant, only offering him a smile. I told him to take it because that was all he was going to get regarding her.

He had admitted that she was a bit intimidating and I had laughed at that, knowing if I told her it would fan her small ego. But I assured Maxon it was only because she was looking out for me. She was the one who was always there when something went wrong with my exes after all.

"Have you guys seen my shoes?" My mom yells from somewhere in the house and I hear my brother tell her no. I'm not sure what else he muttered because the sound of her smacking him upside the head resonates throughout the quiet house.

I chuckle as I hear him bickering with my mom. Trinity comes to stand by the door, dark hair hanging in loose waves down her back.

I take in her casual attire. No matter how much mom wants us to dress nice for this, Trinity simply won't wear something she isn't comfortable with.

"You look good, T." I compliment her because the girl doesn't even wear makeup and she looks great 24/7.

"What about me?" Leah asks, hands on her waist.

"You always look pretty, Leah. You and Trinity both."

"You too." She says and I roll my eyes. "It's true. How did you manage to land that fine-ass man then?"

"You know," I muse, "I'm not even sure myself."

"Hmm."

My phone beeps and I pick it up. Maxon's asking if we're almost ready to go because he's five minutes away. I text him yes and he replies with a thumbs-up emoji.