Chapter 2 - Madison

It's the next day and I'm sitting at our college's cafeteria, studying and trying hard not to doze off when my nineteen-year-old sister, Trinity, plops down across from me, looking bored but awake.

"Ugh," She grunts by way of greeting. "That class takes a bajillion years. I freakin' hate math." She states as she takes out her textbook from her bag. "I don't know why you love it so much."

I give her a full grin, getting distracted from the boring material I have to go over before my test later today. "It's not that hard." I reach for my water bottle and take a sip. "If you have a great teacher."

"Yeah," Trinity scoffs. 'Tell that to Professor Lee. Anyone can barely make out a word he says."

I set my water down. "Oh come on, that's a little harsh to say, T. The poor man is trying."

She shrugs carelessly, "Yeah, but I've got to admit he's a good professor. I've heard there are worse."

I nod in agreement knowing that's so true. "Exactly."

"What about you? How have your classes been?"

"Fine." I shrug it off. "But I'm seriously looking forward to spring break. I need some time off." I rub at my forehead. "My brain feels fried from information overload this past week."

She chuckles but agrees. "I think that's all of us, Mad. You've also been working so hard too. I fear mom's getting worried."

My lips tighten. A few years ago I had to drop out of college due to high amounts of stress. I was overwhelmed in a burnout mode. I ended up going to the doctors and they diagnosed me with high amounts of acid reflux. They blamed it on my chronic stress and encouraged me to take a break for a few months. I had just started freshman year and was there for three weeks before I knew I wasn't going to be able to handle it. It was the most difficult decision I had to make but I knew I needed to come first. Thankfully, I've now learned to manage my time better. It's contributed greatly to my success. "Tell mom not to worry. I only work two or three hours, anyway." A pause then I add. "Most days."
"Yeah, and you should be using those hours to study and focus on school."

"You know we need the money, T. And you're one to talk. You work too."

"Yeah at our school bookstore. It's not as demanding as working at a bar."

I lean back with a sigh. Too tired to argue my point. "You're right."

We sit in silence as I flip over my pages. I've got most of the material down. Hopefully, I pass this test, or else I won't know what to do. I need to keep my high GPA. I owe it to myself more than anything. "Did you drive Vanessa home last night?" Trinity's voice cuts through the silence. "I explained to mom why you were arriving a little later than usual." I glance up and find her looking at me.

"Yeah, I did. You know her car broke down. It's still at the shop. I think she gets it back tomorrow."

She nods and her gaze takes on a faraway look. "Sometimes it feels so surreal."

"What?" I sit up straighter, giving her my full attention. "That you're driving." She grins. "And have a job."

I snort. "I finally do."

"Unfortunately though," I shadow crosses her face. "We still live in you-know-who's house."

My heart sinks at her words. "I know. Hopefully, we'll leave soon and never have to associate with him again."

I've been busting my ass every day. Working, going to college, while trying to save up money. So has Trinity and mom. Much to our dismay, it's proven to be a little difficult since the economy slowed down.